[FOR SALE] More exhaust manifolds

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, the passenger side manifold is not a question. The only one that had the larger outlet is the one in your last picture. Every other passenger side manifold used on the earlier cars was a small outlet, I agree with you on that. I'm only talking about driver side manifolds.

Sorry, I wasn't really asking a question about the difference between the driver's side manifolds. I do feel more educated in that I can see why some with early A-Bodies would say that a 340 driver's side manifold works and other don't. I'm clear on all that, and didn't know the later one was "shorter", so thanks.

Only question I have is - are you saying that both manifolds in the first picture in post #47 have large outlets? Or to state it a different way, do you agree that the seller in the link is correct that the driver's side manifold he was selling had a 2 1/4" outlet?

The pics in post #47 show a 60s 340 driver and a 70s 340 driver and they both have the large 2 1/4" exit hole. They flow the same but the 60s manifold is sleeker, less bulky and has more clearance around the steering shaft area. As far the seller in the link....the driver's 340 manifold is the large hole (2 1/4" outlet). If it has those ribs above and below the front part of the manifold and it has a flat flange it's probably a large hole 340 driver (70s). But please remember that Mopar also made some small hole (1 7/8") 340 driver manifolds (they are shaped differently). The reason I say this is that if the seller won't show pics of the actual size of the exit hole do not buy the manifolds. Just because it's advertised as a 340 driver or a 340 passenger does not mean that it has a 2 1/4" exit hole.

Here's a pic of a 360 magnum I just finished machining today, well over 2 1/4". There's no doubt about the size of the exit hole!!

Thanks for the questions, I hope it helped other members in getting the manifolds they want/need.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04156.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC04157.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 113
I apologize, this has been more involved than I intended.

The pics in post #47 show a 60s 340 driver and a 70s 340 driver and they both have the large 2 1/4" exit hole....As far the seller in the link....the driver's 340 manifold is the large hole (2 1/4" outlet). If it has those ribs above and below the front part of the manifold and it has a flat flange it's probably a large hole 340 driver (70s).

Treblig

Ok, so based on the above, A-Bodies in 1974 with the 360 HP had a driver side manifold with a large outlet because the DS manifold referenced in the pictures and link is the same manifold that the 1974 360 Duster/Dart Sport came with.

This disagrees with part of the following post IF it is applied to a 1974 A-Body:

NO!! The 1974 360 HP manifolds do not have the 2 1/4" outlet. Only the 340s (and only some of them) have the 2 1/4" outlet.

treblig

I understand that other bodies styles came with other manifolds, and that the A-Body 360 HP came with a small outlet passenger side manifold, but I am only talking about the 1974 A-Body driver side HP manifold, which is the same as the 70's 340 driver side manifold referenced above.

I apologize, this has been more involved than I intended.

Ok, so based on the above, A-Bodies in 1974 with the 360 HP had a driver side manifold with a large outlet because the DS manifold referenced in the pictures and link is the same manifold that the 1974 360 Duster/Dart Sport came with.

This disagrees with part of the following post IF it is applied to a 1974 A-Body:

I understand that other bodies styles came with other manifolds, and that the A-Body 360 HP came with a small outlet passenger side manifold, but I am only talking about the 1974 A-Body driver side HP manifold, which is the same as the 70's 340 driver side manifold referenced above.

OoooHHH!! I think I understand what your asking about now?? Your concern was with the 360 HP manifold mentioned earlier?? I went back re-read TF360's post. There's where the confusion comes in..... (terminology). When I talk about a 360 magnum manifold I'm talking about the 360 CI magnum engine which may or may not be 360HP manifolds mentioned earlier. We may be talking about two different things here but I am patient and I don't mind writing until we're both on the same page.

When "TF360" wrote:
"Looks good-Do you know if the factory 1974 360 hp mainifolds ( a-body) have the 2 1/4 outlet on the drivers side. They should be the same as the 73 340 drivers side manifolds. Or do only the earlier 340 manifolds have that 2 1/4 hole (drivers side) "

If "TF360" was talking about a '74 340 manifold then yes it could be the 2 1/4" hole. You see, the 360 engine went into production in '71, so when "TF360" asked about "1974 360 HP manifolds" I naturally thought he was asking about the manifolds that came on a high perf '74 360 engine. If TF360 had said, "'74 HP 340 manifolds" my answer would have been different. But that not what he wrote. So I guess it's my fault for not realizing that he was asking about 340 manifold?? In '74 there were 360 engines but they did not come with large hole manifolds BUT SOME 340CI '74 engines did come with the large hole manifolds. When someone writes "360HP manifolds" I automatically think of high perf 360 engine manifolds. But if someone asks about 340 exhaust manifolds, that's a totally different thing.
So yes a '74 340 engine diver's manifold could more than likely be a large hole manifold. Now if "TF360" would come back to this thread and clarify what he meant by '74 360HP manifolds we'll all be on the same page.
Sorry about the confusion.

Treblig

The 340 was discontinued in 73, there are no "1974 340" manifolds.

In 1974, the HP motor in A-Bodies was a 360 and got the "340" manifolds, at least on the driver side.

I should add that before '74, the 360 was never labeled as "HP" and never had more than a 2BBL.

In '74, the HP 360 was available in A/E/B-Bodies with a 4BBL and bigger cam, but (as far as I know) only the A-Body got the DS "340" manifold (the casting numbers even match).

After '74, the 360 was available, but I am not clear on if it was an HP or even if it had a 4BBL, so no idea what manifolds it had.

Later when the E58 360 was released in Volare's, LRE's and such, it was considered an HP, but I don't believe it would have come with large outlet manifolds. Even if they were they, wouldn't have been the same shape as the DS "340" manifold in question here.

So, when TF360 asked "Do you know if factory 1974 360 hp mainifolds ( a-body) have the 2 1/4 outlet on the drivers side" he was asking about the "340" manifold.

The 340 was discontinued in 73, there are no "1974 340" manifolds.

In 1974, the HP motor in A-Bodies was a 360 and got the "340" manifolds, at least on the driver side.

I'd love to see one originally installed on a car, it is possible. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, I'm saying that in every Mopar "exhaust manifold casting number" reference I've seen there is no mention of the 340 large hole manifold on any 360 engine. Now if they were used on 360CI engines it would be great and if they have the ribs above and below the front section of the driver's manifold and also have a flat flange then it will more than likely be a large hole 340 manifold. Do you any "reference' for this large hole 340 factory mounted to a 360 engine?? If you do I would really appreciate it.

You say that there are no '74 340 manifolds. I will have to disagree. I sold a 340 manifold manufactured in '78 (it was NOS). It had the exact same casting number and the exact same shape as the early 70s 340 manifolds that I have sold in the past. Now we're back to terminology....By casting number there are numerous 340 manifolds manufactured after '73. There were no 340 engines installed in cars after '73 but the same exact manifolds were continued to be manufactured until '78 using the same casting and casting number (at least for the small hole 340 manifolds). I have also had some 340 large hole driver manifolds manufactured in '74 with the exact same casting number as the early 70s 340 manifolds. I have pics of these manifolds. So you may be correct if you say that no 340 large hole manifolds were installed on any 340 engines after '73 but that doesn't mean that they stopped producing the same manifolds after '73. Anyone can stick a large hole 340 driver's manifold on any small block '67 and up A body.
I would also think that Mopar kept producing 340 blocks well beyond '73 for warranty replacements and sales just like they kept producing 340 manifolds.
Terminology is key here: In the future if someone asks me about 360 HP manifolds I'm definitely going to ask if they're asking about 340 type manifolds or 360 type manifolds!! It gets extremely confusing when you have two manifolds with the exact same casting number and the exact same shape then you call one a 340 manifold and the other a 360 manifold. When most FABO members think of a 360 manifold 9 times out of 10 they're not thinking of a large hole 340 manifold.

Cheers!!

Thanks Treblig

Not sure how this will work but here is a link. Show's the interchange for the manifolds and the 72-73 DS 340 manifold interchanges with the 74 DS 360 manifold.

The fact that the casting number is the same is enough for me. I could see the same casting number on different parts if they were machined different after they were cast (e.g. 340 TA heads where J castings with special machining for pushrod holes), but there isn't any machining related to the outlet. So, if the casting number match and it has a flat flange, it is an HP manifold.

Might be worth changing the terminology to "flat flange" rather than "340". The 360 in '74 Dusters and Dart Sports had a flat flange HP manifold on the driver side.

Here is Prine's '74 360 Duster. The pictures with the motor on the chain show a flat flange on the DS manifold.

Prine listed his casting numbers here. They don't exactly match, he shows 3614668 while the correct one would be 3614368, but I could see him thinking the 3 is a 6. I believe it is actually 3614368. Also in this thread is a '75 360 DS manifold, and it is not the same. Casting number is different, has a different shape and a cone outlet. So I would feel comfortable saying that after '74, the HP A-Bodies didn't get a large outlet manifold on the driver side.

Also, the earlier link for the for sale manifolds listed them as being off a 74 Dart Sport 360 HP and the DS manifold is a flat flange and matches the casting number.

In both cases, I would be surprised if someone had swapped the DS manifold for an earlier flat flange one, and changed the head pipe, rather than just swapped on headers. Not maybe people in that era would have even thought much about even saving the manifolds, let alone swapping one, rather than just putting headers on. My brother did just that, put a set of headers on his '71 340 Duster and junked the free flows.

Everything I have seen and heard has always agreed that the 3614368 flat flange HP manifold was used on 340 and 360 A-Bodies from 72-74.

Not sure how this will work but here is a link. Show's the interchange for the manifolds and the 72-73 DS 340 manifold interchanges with the 74 DS 360 manifold.

The fact that the casting number is the same is enough for me. I could see the same casting number on different parts if they were machined different after they were cast (e.g. 340 TA heads where J castings with special machining for pushrod holes), but there isn't any machining related to the outlet. So, if the casting number match and it has a flat flange, it is an HP manifold.

Might be worth changing the terminology to "flat flange" rather than "340". The 360 in '74 Dusters and Dart Sports had a flat flange HP manifold on the driver side.

GREAT LINK DionR!!! Unfortunately most 383/440 manifolds are also flat flange manifolds so without the "340" in front of the "flat flange" no one would know which manifold you're talking about. The 340 manifold was made from the mid/late 60s till '73 for the 340 engine after that it was only used for very years on other SB engines. For this reason the great majority of these HP manifolds are 340 driver's manifolds.
But it is nice to know that these manifolds were used on engines other than the 340 (for the history books)!! Thanks,

Treblig

Here is Prine's '74 360 Duster. The pictures with the motor on the chain show a flat flange on the DS manifold.

Prine listed his casting numbers here. They don't exactly match, he shows 3614668 while the correct one would be 3614368, but I could see him thinking the 3 is a 6. I believe it is actually 3614368. Also in this thread is a '75 360 DS manifold, and it is not the same. Casting number is different, has a different shape and a cone outlet. So I would feel comfortable saying that after '74, the HP A-Bodies didn't get a large outlet manifold on the driver side.

Also, the earlier link for the for sale manifolds listed them as being off a 74 Dart Sport 360 HP and the DS manifold is a flat flange and matches the casting number.

In both cases, I would be surprised if someone had swapped the DS manifold for an earlier flat flange one, and changed the head pipe, rather than just swapped on headers. Not maybe people in that era would have even thought much about even saving the manifolds, let alone swapping one, rather than just putting headers on. My brother did just that, put a set of headers on his '71 340 Duster and junked the free flows.

Everything I have seen and heard has always agreed that the 3614368 flat flange HP manifold was used on 340 and 360 A-Bodies from 72-74.

Yes it should be casting number 3614368, same for 72/73/74. These old manifolds cracked/broke much easier than the 360 magnums so I'm sure many of them have been replaced. That's probably the reason they kept manufacturing them into 1978.
Thanks you again for the information.

treblig

I have sold the passenger side (heat riser) 318 manifold (first post of this thread). I still have the driver's side for sale $30 plus shipping.

Check out all my other 340, "machined" 360 magnum passenger, "machined" Dakota driver manifolds as well as my stub "flared" down pipes with adapter flanges HERE!!!:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=286272

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!:burnout:

Treblig

Nice work on the manifolds.

A couple of questions

Have you looked at the 53010188 manifold for the passenger side?

While you are out harvesting manifolds, do you ever find any of these (the top one):

Exhaust%2520Manifold%25202.jpg

Thanks for helping us keep this hobby alive!

B

The passenger manifold in your pic is a 273 manifold and only had a 1 5/8" exit hole so I normally don't buy them or sell them. The top manifold is also 273 (driver) and has the 1 5/8" hole. These came stock on the pre '67 A bodies. These are needed by early A owners who swap their /6 for a V8!! I come across them once in a while. If there was more demand for them I would buy them and sell them.

treblig

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back