More IGN Woes from Down South - Current @ 'ST'...but No Start

-

archlab

Reaction score
So here's the Situation.

1969 D100 Pickup
(sorry A-Body guys, but you seem to have more activity than the Sweptline pages right now):

Ignition Synopsis
Note: The Wiring colors on the Ignition Switch Circuit on Sweptline (1961-71) trucks are different than Mopar Cars
* 'ST' = Orange (med. thick)
* 'BAT' = Black (thick)
* ACC' = Lt. Blue (thick)
* 'IGN 1' = Red (w/ a blk wire going to Oil Pressure Lt.)
* 'IGN 2' = Pink (med. thk)

Electrical System Overview
1) Bulkhead Connectors have all been dealt with to attain tight connections
2) Ammeter Bypassed per MAD Electrical method
3) Ignition
3a) Ignition Switch is fairly new w/ each post seeming to do what it should
when 'cranked'
3b) New Starter Relay, 4-pronged w/ 'ST' wire (Orange on the D100) & 'Dark GRN' NSS,
I get 12v+/- at the 'ST' prong on the Starter Relay, so it seems that everything
is getting where it should.... but tthat doesn't seem to activate the (Red) wire
to the Starter [THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM].
i) 'When the old 'screwdriver jumping' method is used, the
Starter fires right up & the engine runs with no problem.
ii) Turning the Ignition Key back to 'OFF', turns off the Engine, as it should.
iii) Because of (i) & (ii), I believe that the 'IGN1 ' & 'IGN2' circuits appear to
be working correctly

4) Mopar Electronic Ignition has been upgraded & in place for abt 5 yrs (&
works fine)
5) Alternator works fine
6) Ballast Resistor (2 prong) SEEMS OK, but I tested the Ohm resistance which is
+/-1.8ohms vs. the 1.2ohm spec.
7) Later model Electronic Voltage Regulator installed & works fine - no charging
issues
8. Dash Lights & Gauges don't function properly (this to me is a minor issue....right now, at least)
9) Turn Signal Lights don't work

So, the Summary of the Issues I have are:
1) Truck doesn't Start when Key / Ignition Switch is turned to 'Start'
2) Dash Lights turn on when Key / Ignition Switch is turned to 'Start'. Lights also
stay on in the 'Run' mode.
3) Turn Signal Lights don't work (but did)
I think I've taken the right moves, but these 2 issues are driving me NUTZ-O

If this an automatic check the neutral safety switch to see if it is providing the ground for the starter relay.

If this an automatic check the neutral safety switch to see if it is providing the ground for the starter relay.

X2. Could be NSS, something in the transmission, linkage problem, or even something wrong in the connector / harness.

Identify the wire going from the start relay down to the NSS and disconnect from the relay. Clip that exposed push -on relay connector to ground. CAREFUL. It will start "in any gear."

See if it starts.

So far as the cluster "I ain't familiar" with those old trucks, but generally, add a pigtail ground to the cluster

-
Back