More Mopar Pickin Today

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Theresa & I went scouring our local area a couple days ago looking for this 65 Barracuda I had heard about . Finally found it sitting on the side of the owners house. Stopped and knocked on the door , talked to the owner. At first he said it wasn't for sale. This guy was 84 years old ! Says he's gonna fix it up someday ! He started showing me the inside , under the hood , The extra parts he had in the shed ect. He started loosening up and asked what I would pay for it .
I made an offer he didn't like, threw his # at me , And I raised mine up a little, and he still said no. We talked a little more and he went in and as I was starting to leave he came back out waving me down. I guess his wife set him straight on getting rid of that junk pile and take the cash ! Went back today to buy it and load it up. Turns out the old guy was a really nice guy , that was his dream car that never got finished and has been there for 16 years rotting away most of those years. Anyway here is some of the fun we go though finding these and dragging them home.
It had 4 flat tires and full of wood laminate flooring and carpet, OH and BUGS.

20220218_114329.jpg

20220218_115653.jpg

20220218_130856.jpg

20220218_130929.jpg

Finally got it loaded and home . Unloading was just as fun, but we got it done .
20220218_142150.jpg

20220218_142002.jpg

20220218_142014.jpg

20220218_142051.jpg

20220218_154312.jpg

20220218_173718.jpg

This car has the title , but is so rotted out , I'm afraid we are going to just part it out. Says it's the original engine 273 2 barrel automatic 7 1/4 rear. Motor spins over by hand !

Good for you! Thanks for sharing

I’d hate to count the # of “I’m gonna fix it up someday” responses I’ve gotten over the years. And I live in rust belt Wisconsin!

I see a lot of rust, but a lot of good, too. As usual, yall make it look so fun!

I see a lot of rust, but a lot of good, too. As usual, yall make it look so fun!
Well Rob , It' might look like a lot of fun, But it's a lot of work ,getting this old junk loaded , It was in the 80s today. Gettin to old for this work crap ! Took us about 3 1/2 hours just to get it loaded , and about an hour to unload it . Need to find a trailer with a big winch.

The car has a lot of good parts on it . some nice rocker trim ans SS pieces. Looks like a nice dash pad also.

What's the trick to getting the rocker trim off without messing it up ?

Wow ! You two make a great team getting it on the trailer, had to be a back braker.
Looks like a complete Barracuda will make it home with you, congratulations my friend :thumbsup:

Nice job Al and Theresa! If it's a rot box, I wouldnt hesitate to cut the sheet "metal" around the rocker trim. That's a last resort of course. Very cool having the 273!:thumbsup:

LEt me know if you part it. I can use a few parts....
As soon as we get this thing debugged and see what's good and what's scrap I'll post it up in a parts car add. I have a small bin of extra parts that came with it also. Some times we pay more than I like to get these cars and or parts, which is why I try to sell everything I can to make it worth while. And obviously a lot of people need all the small parts also ! Win- Win

It has drag car written all over it, a nice small block 426 stroker deal.

Wow ! You two make a great team getting it on the trailer, had to be a back braker.
Looks like a complete Barracuda will make it home with you, congratulations my friend :thumbsup:
Ya , I put her to work today ! I got it jacked up and would do the winching as she backed the trailer under it !

20220218_120048.jpg
20220218_115649.jpg

Hey this one was easier than the last one !

20210623_123623.jpg

20210623_170009.jpg

holy hell, what did you scrap on that, the 2 good taillights? These are not good drag car candidates unless you gut 'em, tub 'em, and do inner fenderwell deletes and run some real headers. And they are still 55 year oldunibodies, rust and all.

holy hell, what did you scrap on that, the 2 good taillights? These are not good drag car candidates unless you gut 'em, tub 'em, and do inner fenderwell deletes and run some real headers. And they are still 55 year oldunibodies, rust and all.
Perfect for a drag car running sub 8's with a tube chassis.

Theresa & I went scouring our local area a couple days ago looking for this 65 Barracuda I had heard about . Finally found it sitting on the side of the owners house. Stopped and knocked on the door , talked to the owner. At first he said it wasn't for sale. This guy was 84 years old ! Says he's gonna fix it up someday ! He started showing me the inside , under the hood , The extra parts he had in the shed ect. He started loosening up and asked what I would pay for it .
I made an offer he didn't like, threw his # at me , And I raised mine up a little, and he still said no. We talked a little more and he went in and as I was starting to leave he came back out waving me down. I guess his wife set him straight on getting rid of that junk pile and take the cash ! Went back today to buy it and load it up. Turns out the old guy was a really nice guy , that was his dream car that never got finished and has been there for 16 years rotting away most of those years. Anyway here is some of the fun we go though finding these and dragging them home.
It had 4 flat tires and full of wood laminate flooring and carpet, OH and BUGS.

View attachment 1715873049

View attachment 1715873050

View attachment 1715873051

View attachment 1715873052
Finally got it loaded and home . Unloading was just as fun, but we got it done .
View attachment 1715873053

View attachment 1715873054

View attachment 1715873055

View attachment 1715873056

View attachment 1715873057

View attachment 1715873058

This car has the title , but is so rotted out , I'm afraid we are going to just part it out. Says it's the original engine 273 2 barrel automatic 7 1/4 rear. Motor spins over by hand !
Dude! They got these new-fangled contraptions nowadays - They’re called ramps...

The body is nice and straight on this car,but unfortunately all the lower body panels are rotted out. The front fenders might be salvageable if someone was to fix a little rust down low. Bumpers are straight but a little rusty. I'll know more in a few days.

I had angle iron ramps but with 4 flats they would just get stuck in between the angles.
:lol:
Good point - Gotta say, I don’t know if I’d have been brave enough to load it that way, good work. Hope you can salvage enough from it to make it worth your while.

-
Back