more noob questions...

-

73VAswngr

Reaction score
What size bolt do i need to get my suposedly new 318 short block (another thread i dont want to even bring up) on the stand? On another note...after 6 weeks in the body shop (vinyl to hard top conversion/rust fix) they finally got paint on the swinger...looks frigging awesome! Will post pics Friday night once I get it back. Then I have to save up for brakes, rear axle, torsion bars, wheels, tranny, heads, carb, manifolds, etc...sigh. If you can help out with the engine stand bolt question that will be a huge step in the right direction!
Russ

Russ, I took a bell housing bolt down to the hardware store. (ACE) I matched it up and grabed a longer length I measured in this manor.

Total length of engine stands tube and arm plus approx the depth of the holes, shallowest on used. The bolts in the store come in various lengths of course, so I decided on one shorter of course with a washer to further keep the bolt from bottoming out.

I'm brand-noob to the car world and dont have any housings to take to the store :) Is there an easy answer as far as bolt sizes go? Also is there a certain way i should clean and preserve the block so i dont @%&* it up?

I think they're 3/8" coarse thread.

Yes. Use a piece of coat hanger to find out what length you need,
don't forget get some 5/8 washers too, to help support the load,
under the bolt head.

984493394_5c7c0c39fe.jpg

1285.jpg

So i'll need 2 different sizes of bolts then? From the pic i can see two in the smaller holes up top and two in the larger holes on bottom

-
Back