more pattern help (new pix)

-

redlightrich1

Reaction score
Hello again, I took the advice from this forum, can you please give opinions on these pattern. The one of the carrier out of the case is more shim. I showed it in the case and out so I can easily identify the best. I thought the pattern in the case looked better, but I am not certain. Again, any help is appreciated. I am still using .009 backlast( mfg spec is 010) is this too much? Will running tighter backlash ( like .005-.006 ) help?

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 003.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 011.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 024.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 164
Pinion shim is wrong. Pattern needs to be centered on the tooth betweem face and flank (long sides). Your patter is running off the face of the tooth. Pinion shim should be similiar to the orig one, probably 30-35 thou.

can you describe what you see and what I should be looking for please. The first 2 pix are with a .032 shim, the second 2 are with .030. The og shim was .030. My first post was with a .027. I listed it as .029 but was incorrect. I re measured after taking apart. How much shim makes a noticable difference? Thanks

.003 is enough to make a difference. Looks like you will need to add shim to get the pattern centered within the tooth. Right now you are running off the tooth on the inside of the long side of the tooth. This is called the face. The opposite side is called the flank. If you want more info, go to the gear manufacturers sites like Yukon and Richmond.

I'd run her with the .032", your depth is good (better than before) and I've never got hung up on making sure the pattern is dead center on the tooth (I shoot for 80% from center). With a new set of gears I'd tighten up the backlash a little to .006-.008 aiming for .007". Make sure you follow the breakin procedure for new gears. I use 15 miles at no more than 50 MPH then let the entire rear cool down and do this a couple times and don't be banging on her for the first 500 miles then change the oil at 500. IMHO.

I disagree. The pattern is clearly better in the first 2 shots. I'd be trying a .035.

I do agree with the B/L, shooting for .007.

-
Back