Mornings first startup

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Now I kind of wish I had an oil accumulator.

Carter electric rotary fuel pump
3/8 supply and return system
Edelbrock 1406 electric choke
GM HEI ignition and E core coil
Mini starter
Turn on the key, and two pumps to the floor and kit the key.

During this time of the year I have to feather the throttle slightly a couple of times so it stays running, but better that than more fuel than it needs.
In the winter it starts exactly the same way but more choke and higher idle set, so in winter it's perfect and in the warmer months it's just a hair lean and no high idle on initial startup.

Can't say I blame you,.. I went back to a Carter mechanical..... (fuel pump...). Ethanol is up to 21-22 percentage here, thanks to Commander Moonbeam...

You could always put a spring loaded switch (or even standard switch "anti theft" to ground your tach wire. This would allow you to crank it for a few seconds to get oil "up."

You could always put a spring loaded switch (or even standard switch "anti theft" to ground your tach wire. This would allow you to crank it for a few seconds to get oil "up."
This is what I have and do if I haven't driven the car for a week, or it's cold out.

But here it's rarely hot or cold

When I didn't live here I loved my mechanical choke so I could fine-tune the choke according to the weather/season to allow for more consistent startups.

I could just not give it those two pump on the throttle and that would do it.
I had thought about the switch but didn't want to add another thing to do every time I drove the car.
Guess I'll have to pick one at some point eh? (do something or don't)
At least the motor doesn't make any noises on startup, but I can't help but feel that immediate fireup can't be a real good thing for bearings even though there is supposedly a protective film of oil present.
The pressure comes up in less than a second when it starts, but still it's those first probably 24 or so pressures on the bearings and crank journals without any pressure yet that bugs me.

Ok,oil changes. I do many in my shop. Watching video it comes up quick. Compared to some.

Irrelevant but had a lebaron fwd that was slow with oil pressure. Swapped out oil filter to a smaller one and to my suprise it made a noticeable difference.

So tried different filters? Some have better anti-drainback valves than others.

Another benefit of having a magneto. I keep the ground closed until I build up oil pressure. To hear the difference in sound the motor makes while cranking dry until it builds up oil pressure is disturbing to say the least...

-
Back