Moser Engineering Rear Ends?

-

alexk90

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a 8 3/4 rear end package from Moser. I was wondering if anyone has ever had one of these rear ends? Also if they were any good at all. I am just feeling out at the moment

I am just torn at the moment mostly because, getting a A body 8 3/4 rear end is pretty expensive. Then getting another rear end from any other mopar in my area is damn near impossible.

So just looking to see what people see think.

Thanks

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like a Dana 60 from them would be less expensive and certainly more durable. I've run their products in an OEM housing for 15+ years with great success. But I'm considering a Dana 60 for peace of mind.

Moser is the closest for me.
They have done 4 danas, 2 -8 3/4 and a fab 8/4
never any problem with them
I don't baby any of them, I drag race them all

013.JPG

SAM_4209.JPG

046.JPG

SAM_4400.JPG

072_zps6sxcq7nu.jpg

This is the package i am looking at getting.

8 3/4 Mopar Stamped Housing & Axle Package - Moser Engineering

So far, it seems like it might be good idea to go with moser. I don't really feel I need to do a Dana in the car. I would if i planned to do more strip time with the car. Though from talking to people that have ran both, it seems the 8.75 should do what I need to do just fine. At least in my opinion anyway.

call and ask to speak to the shop foreman (mike?)
they had a powder coated stamped 8 3/4 that a customer didn't pay for last time I went up there.
He offered it @ a good price, but all mine are narrowed lengths

029.JPG

Last edited:
I got a 4.10 Dana 60 with trutrac and disk brakes from Cass at Dr. Diff. He was very helpful on the phone. Superb customer service.

Have used Moser products wouldn't hesitate to use them again excellent parts and service..

Lincoln Nebraska? There's not six million old Ford trucks out there with Dana 60s in them? Likely let's 410 gears. You can probably pick one up for a hundred fifty bucks at the most. They cost $75 for the housing ends probably a couple 2 or $300 to put them on $300 for axles with green bearing and $125 for a spool for that 410 ring gear.
I've went both routes ( blew up the 8 3/4 in about 20 passes and that was a 489 case but 4-speeds are harsh on parts) and definitely building a Dana is cheaper. The more experienced kept warning me, but I had to build that 8 and 3/4 first. Now I'm with the more experienced and the theory is "Dana and done."
I'm just the kind of guy who end up spending my money twice because I'm hard-headed.

awesome, i will have to give them a call

Lincoln Nebraska? There's not six million old Ford trucks out there with Dana 60s in them? Likely let's 410 gears. You can probably pick one up for a hundred fifty bucks at the most. They cost $75 for the housing ends probably a couple 2 or $300 to put them on $300 for axles with green bearing and $125 for a spool for that 410 ring gear.
I've went both routes ( blew up the 8 3/4 in about 20 passes and that was a 489 case but 4-speeds are harsh on parts) and definitely building a Dana is cheaper. The more experienced kept warning me, but I had to build that 8 and 3/4 first. Now I'm with the more experienced and the theory is "Dana and done."
I'm just the kind of guy who end up spending my money twice because I'm hard-headed.
hmmm now you have me reconsidering my 8.75

Mine is from strange. I think it was nearly 2,000$ difference for the 8.75 to the dana. I think my dana was 3 grand and change. THe 8.75 was 5 grand and change

Mine is from strange. I think it was nearly 2,000$ difference for the 8.75 to the dana. I think my dana was 3 grand and change. THe 8.75 was 5 grand and change

I paid around $4,000 plus shipping, but that included the brakes and lines and the little pressure regulator device.

yeah I have about 1500 in my 8.75 , factory A body though

I have bought 2 Strange S60 from Doctor Diff, each one was around $2100. Cost 200 shipping on one of them and free shipping on the second one. Strange sometimes has a Free shipping deal at the end of the year that runs through the end of January....Just don't call the Doctor one hour before Strange closes like I did last year...

Might are with a spool so they are a few hundred cheaper then with sure grip or what ever they call it these days. He has on his web site were you can pick and choose the options you want.

We recently changed the ring and gear from 4.56 to 4.30. and the strange s60 uses adjusters instead of shims to set the back lash, the guy doing it for me said he loves the strange vs the moser which he has in Stocker.

Of course I have a thread somewhere on building the Dana on the Race forum like budget Dana or something like that. Systematically go through building one out of a used truck one from Craigslist. I was at $1,200 into mine with a spool add 300 if I wanted a Sure Grip or something. But I did just have a friend build his Dana 60 for I think about $650. He was able to get a great deal on getting the ends cut and put on. Of course on that thread that I did I have comparisons of the Ring gears between a Dana 60 and 8 3/4. more important what I blew up where the caps the ring gear where on. They're much bigger and stronger

wow this thread became interesting quickly (lol). Seems like I have a lot of stuff to go over.

Also I when I look at stuff, it also shows the Dana being more expensive, am I missing something?

yeah I have about 1500 in my 8.75 , factory A body though

Before we get too into prices, realize you get what you pay for.

I sold my factory A body 8.75 right out from under my show car for 1,000.

When I quoted the prices for my dana vs. an 8.75 from strange realize they were both being built to the same specs and ability.

My dana from strange is powdercoated, narrowed, billet yoke, S-trac (eaton tru-trac) Willwood discs, aluminum cover with bearing supports. Most likely a few other bells and whistles I can't remember. They said it's good for 1,000hp all day. Shipped to my door that was in the 3k dollar range. They quoted me 5200ish for a similar 8.75.

dana.jpg

budget dana 60 | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
budget dana 60

The big difference in price is people getting them sent to the front door from strange or going on Craigslist and getting the parts from Doctor dif (Cass) after you went on Craigslist and bought $150 rear end. If you read the thread that I just posted for you it starts out a little slow with me explaining why I'm getting a Dana. By post 14 you pretty much have a full parts list and I'm sure by the end there's tons of pictures to. Remember those ends that are welded on are so you can use mopar 8 1/4 or 8 3/4 breaks. I've had both those rearends and still the same breaks on our d60.
It's time & money or just money.

wow this thread became interesting quickly (lol). Seems like I have a lot of stuff to go over.

Also I when I look at stuff, it also shows the Dana being more expensive, am I missing something?

When you start getting WELL-WELL over 600 horsepower then talk to strange about one of those big modular housing that really belong on race cars. And imho don't look good on a street car as it looks out of place.

You can have an 8 3/4 put together for $1000-1200 with stock type parts. If your car will just be a mild street car, that's all you'll need. A truck dana modified for a car will be a little more but also take more abuse. Or open your wallet and order a Strange 60.

If you plan to race the car and keep adding power, get a Dana. If it's always going to be a driver, just get an 8 3/4.

-
Back