most hp from std block

-

ian

Reaction score
whats the most hp from a std block ,before they let go

non race block 340-360 early 70 tees 2 bolt mains

I'd be worried over 550.

I,ve read here that some stroker builds with stock blocks up in the 640hp range.I haven,t read about any blocks breaking apart yet.Maybe try a search on high HP stroker builds.Just a thought.

Had an engine back in the 90's that dynoed at 580. Then we sprayed 175HP of nitrous on it. Lasted for several years. But, when it did let go it got ugly. Too much fuel and timing was the cause. Split cylinder wall on #6. So we tore it down to do a sleeve. Found the block was cracked from the main web into the cam.

If the block had had filler I think we could have been OK. It was a '70 casting date 360 with the stock 2 bolt caps.

Leon

I,ve read here that some stroker builds with stock blocks up in the 640hp range.I haven,t read about any blocks breaking apart yet.Maybe try a search on high HP stroker builds.Just a thought.

thanks i will

What Leon said.

I've had two early 70's 360 blocks in two different race cars. One, about a 400 horse bracket motor, has been in the car for thirteen years, probably has 1500 passes on it.

The other has, my guess, 500 runs in 5 years, with about 550 horses. It's not hard blocked ( it needs coolant passages down here, it's HOT!).

My machinest is a Chevy guy, but praises the early 360's as a very tough, well made, with lots of "good" metal in the casting.

Had an engine back in the 90's that dynoed at 580. Then we sprayed 175HP of nitrous on it. Lasted for several years. But, when it did let go it got ugly. Too much fuel and timing was the cause. Split cylinder wall on #6. So we tore it down to do a sleeve. Found the block was cracked from the main web into the cam.

If the block had had filler I think we could have been OK. It was a '70 casting date 360 with the stock 2 bolt caps.

Leon

thanks leon ,you know much on the r3 48 degree stuff mate

-
Back