Motocross track at night...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
The local motocross track has several night races a summer, been wanting to go shoot one but they are always the same nights that Spokane County Raceway is running....last year I was the "unofficial" official track photographer, this season, what little of it there has/will be I am now the "official" track photographer so I just have never been able to make it until last night.

Now that I can say I did it I no longer want to do it again. I like shooting at the dragstrip at night, I have gear that works well in low light stuff.

The motocross track...the lights are horrible. Far to close together. The night race they run the short track, so no matter where you aim you having to deal with the lights. I did find a couple of spots that I was able to shoot between the lights...but I had a very narrow window to shoot thru. I did get some interesting looking shots....I think.

During the one moto, no matter where I stood I got showered with dirt by one particular rider. My gear is a mess...you can see the chunks flying in this shot..
1DX29743.jpg

While the 3 Pros that were at the track were fast...it is the "bobblehead" classes I really enjoy watching.
1DX_1635.jpg

The Super Mini class has several really fast youngsters in it. Last race I was there this kid...
1DX_1130.jpg

Raced in several different classes..one of them he was racing guys on 250cc and up bike...and gave them all a run for the money.
I stayed to they were down to the last 2 races...lights went out so I packed up and left. The motocross track is just down the road from Spokane County Raceway...I left the motocross track at 11:15. 33 miles home...rolled in the driveway at 12:05. Went to bed, tossed and turned for 3 hours, got up at 6:30 and was at the track just in time for the drivers meeting...8 hours at the Open Road Course. This week SCR is running Friday night (hey guy in Idaho with the Duster withthe twin turbo LS...hope to see you) and then having what may be the last points race of the season on Saturday.

The promoter took a big hit financially this year. Lost both funny car events and several events at the Road Course. No concessions or beer as well. Only reason next Saturday is going to happen is because a bunch of racers....and some "fat guy with a camera"...donated the funds for the payouts. So....any one local to Spokane....if you have a vehicle that can make a pass down the strip hope to see you on Friday/Saturday...

I shoot at the Toyota/Acura LB Grand Prix. Im not a pro so I don't have the PHOTO credential vest but I do have a basically unlimited pit pass as well as tower and paddock so I can go just about anywhere its safe 'cept the photo bleachers. I got a few very nice shots. I agree, its all in the positions and lighting is tough, I couldn't shoot the night drift session on my slow lens DSLR.
DSCF0023.JPG
DSCF0081.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG
DSCF0287.JPG

-
Back