Motor died;won't run

-

LaFlash

Reaction score
Help needed! I have a '68 cuda 340 6 bbl. , headers,mild cam,etc. Went to run it,it cranked and died.Changed fuel filters at elec.(Holley) pump and at regulator. Cranks but won't run. Thought mech.pump might be bad,ordered one and replaced it. Still won't run. Checked spark @ no. 1 cyl.;have spark. Checked regulator,have 5 1/2 lbs. of pressure. Also shows fuel in float side level plugs. It will try to light up if starting fluid is sprayed in center carb while cranking the starter,but won't stay lit. Center carb throat looks dry when throttle blades are manually opened. Any ideas on which way to go next would be appreciated. Maybe trash in center carb?
I am about out of ideas.
Thanks
LaFlash

Smack it, and tell it to straighten up.

Seriously though, a couple of mid strength smacks with a plastic screwdiver handle right next to the needle/seat area. (needles can stick closed)

Does it have accelerator pump shot?

Try 4-5 good pumps on the throttle and crank it to see what happens.

Does the carb accel pump operate? Any chance someone "helped" you with the tank contents?

How STRONG is the spark? For this test I always check right at the coil with a grounded test lead. Bear in mind that cranking with the key VS jumpering the relay sets up different conditions for ignition power

If you pour an ounce of gasoline down the center carb will it at least try to start?
You already stated that the fuel pump is working with 5.5 psi. So that eliminates that.
If it tries to start but shuts off right away maybe the ballist resistor is bad. Since you are getting spark that is about all I can come up with unless it jumped time...which is unlikely.
No vacuum leaks??

I had a carb fill up with sediment once. If you spray carb cleaner in the vent and it works for a while and then does this again. That may be your issue.

The cleaner will loosen up the debris enough to let fuel in and it may even work for a little while till the sediment settles again.

You weren't running bad gas by chance were you ?

Thanks for the suggestions to the original thread about my 68 cuda that died and won't crank.
I sprayed a little carb cleaner down the center carb throat. Looked down the throat while opening throttle blades,no fuel squirt visible. Tapped lightly on center carb bowl (big mistake?) then turned on elec.pump. Major fuel leak from center carb all over intake manifold runners...
Looks like the carbs are coming off real soon.
Anyway,thanks for the suggestions; will keep them in mind after carbs are redone.
Thanks to all who responded.
LaFlash

Thanks for the suggestions to the original thread about my 68 cuda that died and won't crank.
I sprayed a little carb cleaner down the center carb throat. Looked down the throat while opening throttle blades,no fuel squirt visible. Tapped lightly on center carb bowl (big mistake?) then turned on elec.pump. Major fuel leak from center carb all over intake manifold runners...
Looks like the carbs are coming off real soon.
Anyway,thanks for the suggestions; will keep them in mind after carbs are redone.
Thanks to all who responded.
LaFlash

So there is/was something plugging up that carb supply and it kept the needle for stopping the fuel flow.
It might have made a bit of a mess, but it sure pointed out the problem in a hurry.

Glad you found the problem.

I really didn't think the fuel system inside the carb would be the problem.

-
Back