Motor mount bracket difference - 318, 340

-

jim ayers

fastback fish guy
Reaction score
Please help! Doing my first MOPAR project and noticed that the engine mount bracket, on the LH side, removed from my 1969 318, does not fit my 1969 340, which I plan to install in the car. The 318 motor has 2 bosses with 4 holes on each side, but the 340 has 2 bosses with only 3 holes on each side. The RH mount fit perfectly, but the LH does not. Where can I obtain a mounting bracket that will work? This is for a 1969 barracuda.
:banghead:

Attachments

• motor mount.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,130
there available through most restorations places, or cakk schumacer. Make sure you get a 340 mount for an A body, as the E body mount is different.

What he said. Or you can put a spacer in there that is what some people do. Not pretty but it works.

Wouldn't ya like to find the Mopar engineer who decided this was a good idea?

I think you have the mount on ether the wrong side of the engine or the wrong side of the ears on the block.

I think you have the mount on ether the wrong side of the engine or the wrong side of the ears on the block.

I don't remember that much space between the bracket and block, ya might be right. It's cold outside, or I'd go look. Mebbe later

You need to find one for the 340-360 engine, from the year 68-72 bracket, which is the same on the driver's side, or you can do the spacer thing. If you have fabrication and welding skill's, you can also modify your existing driver's side 318 mount. The mount need's to come from an A-body car. Good luck.

while you are on the phone with schumacher get their torsion relief kit also. my 340 in my '68 dart back in the day liked to eat those driver side rubber mounts like they were little sammiches. i had to put a chain from the cylinder head down to my frame.

TQA%20bw.jpg

I back-yarded one. If I remember, I moved 1 mount to the front of the ears, and needed only 1 3/4 nut, for a shim, top bolt. The mount holes are offset,front to rear, as is a b body; seems like drivers side moved forward 3/4". Ran the snot out of it, no problems. The 2 rear bolts take the heat, the front bolt just holds it in place.

-
Back