motor mount plate problem

-

avarageerod

Reaction score
My engine is mounted with front motor mount plates. Wouldn't have been my route, but I got the car this way. I'm having two problems. One, the car didn't come with a water pump pulley. Where could I find one that will line up with the crank pulley (four groove) being that the water pump is now about a 1/4 inch closer to the radiator? Two, how can I mount the alternator. I know other people have mounted engines this way, but I can't find any pictures on line. Thanks for any help.

DSCF0060.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

My engine is mounted with front motor mount plates. Wouldn't have been my route, but I got the car this way. I'm having two problems. One, the car didn't come with a water pump pulley. Where could I find one that will line up with the crank pulley (four groove) being that the water pump is now about a 1/4 inch closer to the radiator? Two, how can I mount the alternator. I know other people have mounted engines this way, but I can't find any pictures on line. Thanks for any help.

The easiest way to handle this is take the water pump housing off and have a 1/4" milled off the back of it. Then you can use stock pullies. On the alltenator, you are going to have to mount it off the elephant ear with the alt. rear facing the front of the car. Atleast that is the way I've seen it done.

Lots of solutions to your problem, check out Mancini Racing for pulley spacers and alternator kits. Milling the water pump housing is another option.

Sorry I only have 1 and 2 groove pulley's. My suggestion to you is to listen to the guy's above. And if you buy a set of pulley's that are used, make sure you buy a complete set.

reread the post 65. his w/p is spaced forward due to the motor plate so his pulleys dont line up. milling may be the only option. possibly a spacer behind the balancer.i wish i knew about the pulley spacers that andy was talking about when i did my pulleys. maybe call march performance.

The bad thing about buying somebody elses project, or even working on your own is that there isn't a 1-800 number to call and get the right part. Guys like us just kinda have to make stuff or re-work stock brackets and peices to get it done. There are so many different ways to do it, you just have to decide how you want it done because I'm sure most of us would all have a little different opinion. But I do agree on milling the pump the thickness of the plate to get the pulley to line up. Good luck with it!!

Sorry I only have 1 and 2 groove pulley's. My suggestion to you is to listen to the guy's above. And if you buy a set of pulley's that are used, make sure you buy a complete set.

I still need a pulley. I bought one that is too deep. If you want to get rid of the two grove pulley let me know, depending on the backspace of it.

Is this a street car or drag car. If it is a street car a motor plate may not be the best way to go any way. If it is a drag car you can get away with out an alternator and can put an electric water pump on it. Just thinking out loud.

Good luck.

I don't know what the guys plans were. I think he intended for it to be a drag car. I want a street car, but I'm not sure if I want to remount the engine. All it would take is time and money, and thanks too my wife I don't have much of either anymore.

Here is one way to do it. There are lots of other ways to accomplish what you're trying to do. Guys have been using motor plates for at least 30 years now.
Dsc_0056_800.jpg

The more I look at the motor plates the more I dislike them. The origianl motor mount brackets had a red wrench taken to them to make room for the 440. I have an idea, which is usually not a good thing. I made a very non artistic drawing of what I'm thinking of trying. Does anybody besides me think this will work? I will probably make them out of 1/2 flat steel I have laying around. Or should I find another K-member and use the swap kit?

motor mount.jpg

-
Back