Motor mounts /6 to v8 question

-

hemidart1

Reaction score
If i'm changing from a /6 to a 318 do I need a Shumacher conversion kit or will 318 mounts bolt up to the k member?

Al.

You need the Schumacker conversion mounts. I used Trandapt mounts on my conversion but they are designed for a 340/360 so I had to modify one bracket to work on a 318. The Schumakers, if you buy the 273/318 mounts will bolt right in.

Chuck

why does everyone like to swap out the ole slant six??? u can make the same ammount of power with is as u can a 318. im just confused

Saying you can make the same amount of power with a /6 as a 318 is like saying you can make the same amount of power with a 318 as a 440. It may be possible but it would take a lot more work and money to achieve the same level of power. Once the /6 and 318 had the same level of power the 318 would be more driveable and get better mileage because the build would be less.

I have ran both the /6 and the 318 in my cars and I will tell you that stock to stock the mileage is the about same and the 318 has a lot more power.

Chuck

thanks for the info.
I have run a built slant 6 in my old '67 Dart a few years back. It had a '528 lift cam, worked head, Offy intake, Mopar headers etc.. and it was much more expensive to build than a small block. It was fun but to go somewhat fast for less $$ i'm going the V8 route.

Al.

Saying you can make the same amount of power with a /6 as a 318 is like saying you can make the same amount of power with a 318 as a 440. It may be possible but it would take a lot more work and money to achieve the same level of power. Once the /6 and 318 had the same level of power the 318 would be more driveable and get better mileage because the build would be less.

I have ran both the /6 and the 318 in my cars and I will tell you that stock to stock the mileage is the about same and the 318 has a lot more power.

Chuck

yeah stock-to-stock. but u cant compare them that way. the slant sixes were made to be cheap motors so the overall price of the car would be lower. do some research on it, dual 2bbl intake manifold, and a split exhaust mani, and u'd be suprised at the difference. trust me. also, how cool is it to keep the original motor and still be fast?? go to slantsix.org. there some people on there making insane power from a /6.and as for which ones more driveable, thats just a matter of opion.

just my 2 cents

but my question was answered: PRICE

If i'm changing from a /6 to a 318 do I need a Shumacher conversion kit or will 318 mounts bolt up to the k member?

Al.

What year are we talking about here? If the car is '66 or older, there is no difference in the K member. All you need is 273 brackets and mounts, and 273exhaust manifolds. If the car is '67-'76 you will need the Schumacher kit for your particular car ('67-'72 or '73-'76). Hope this helps.

yeah stock-to-stock. but u cant compare them that way. the slant sixes were made to be cheap motors so the overall price of the car would be lower. do some research on it, dual 2bbl intake manifold, and a split exhaust mani, and u'd be suprised at the difference. trust me. also, how cool is it to keep the original motor and still be fast?? go to slantsix.org. there some people on there making insane power from a /6.and as for which ones more driveable, thats just a matter of opion.

just my 2 cents

If you go take a look at my web page I did build a slant 6. I still have pictures of the car with the \6 in it (see the link below).

It had a Comp Cam, offy intake, 4bbl carb, 6 into 2 headers with dual exahust, the head was machined to raise the compression to approx 9:1 but it still had stock size valves. It was a dramatic improvement over the stock engine but it still would not run with a stock 2bl 318. I figured that i raised the power from 145 to maybe around 190-200 HP. Never had it to the track but based on how it went compared to other cars I have that I do know how fast they are i would estimate the \6 was a low to mid 16 sec car, certainly not what you could call a FAST car. I got 19-20 mpg back and forth to work and 22-23 mpg on the hiway.

The car now has a built 360 that makes approx 370HP. It has run a best of 13.7 @ 102 and is extremely traction limited as evidenced by the 2.2 sec 60' times I get. I get 17-18 mpg back and forth to work and 21-22 mpg on the hiway now. I am using the same A833OD tranny and same 3.55 sure-grip rear end.

The car with the slant 6 certainly did draw some attention when the hood was up but the driving experience with the v8 is so much more satisfying and i will swap a couple of mpg for 170 HP any day. All I can say is I wish I hadn't procrastinated for so long before doing the swap.

The worest part of having a 68 Barracuda with a \6 was any time some one found out I had the car or saw it with the hood down the first thing out of their mouths was; "Does it have a hemi, 383, 340, six-pak?", never a \6 or even a 318. The look of excitment and awe on folks faces melts away pretty quickly when you tell them it's a \6 and it doesn't come back when you tell them it's been built up. I enjoy those reactions and that is one of the reasons i chose to paint it sub-lime, I like the attention.

I fully support folks doing what ever floats their boats but there is just something about a v8 car from the muscle car era even if you had to build it yourself.

Al.

You probably already know this but here is a list of everything it took me to convert my 74 Duster. Just thought I would add this for general information to anyone else making a swap to a 318.

Attachments

• Engine Conversion List.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 138
-
Back