Motor noise, possible solution? Cam retainer plate leaking?

-

DionR

Reaction score
I've been chasing a motor noise since I got my Duster running again a year and a half ago (no garage, discouragement, lots of reasons for the delays). Not driving it any, other than around the block hoping the motor would warm up and the nosie would quit.

The motor sounds like a diesel motor, lots and lots of rattling.

Bit of history, the car was my daily driver (with this motor) until I sold it to a friend in 2000 or so. He drove it for a time with this motor, then swapped a different motor in as it is the numbers matching motor. I got the car back the summer of 2008, and put the original motor back in at that point. The shortblock was pretty much untouched other than swapping the main bolts back on for the windage tray. Put a new timing chain on it, but cam and lifters where the same as when I first owned it. Put it together, and dropped it in the car. Until now, the motor never gave either one of us any problems.

I've put new lifters in it trying to cure the noise, dropped the pan to make sure the rods weren't hitting the windage tray and checked the rods and mains, looked at the clutch and bell to make sure nothing was hitting, pulled both exhaust manifolds to check for some kind leak. Pretty much ran out of ideas.

A buddy and I spend some time on it this weekend and at his suggestion, we pulled the fuel pump and ran it on what was left in the bowls. Noise was significantly reduced. Felt it was necessary to pull the front of the motor down so off came the timing chain cover.

Just didn't see anything that made sense, so we fired it again with no timing chain cover. It looks like the cam retainer plate is warped and oil is pouring out of the drivers side of the plate. My theory is, while the idiot light is going out, the motor isn't building enough pressure to pump the lifters up and the noise I am hearing is the lifters rattling. The only thing I can think of with the the fuel pump is that it was amplifying the noise.

Does that make any sense? Would a pretty good leak at the cam retainer plate cause problems? Or do I still have a problem some place else?

The previous onwner did pull the cam at one point in time but decided not to use the cam and lifters in the other motor, so it is possible that the retainer plate is not the original one from when I owned the car. He did make sure to keep the original lifter on their original lobes.

Thanks.

Did you remove the cam retainer plate and take a look?
There are galley plugs behind there, and if one blew out, that would be why that much oil is coming out from behind it. I would think....

Sure it's not pouring out from one of the holes in the wall up above the plate?

Pull the retainer plate and check to make sure the galley plugs are in and if not replace them. That would be my guess.

Of course, oil will come out of the front cam bearing too and that is normal, but you may want to check it out.

The older engines did not use galley plugs. The cam retainer plate sealed the galleries. The plate has changed over the years, and if a newer style plate replaces the original then the plate will not seal without the plugs.

I pulled the cover when we found the leak, wanted to check to see if it was flat. The oil is definitely not coming out of the holes above the cam.

There are no plugs, on either side.

The older engines did not use galley plugs. The cam retainer plate sealed the galleries. The plate has changed over the years, and if a newer style plate replaces the original then the plate will not seal without the plugs.

How do you tell the difference between the two, old versus new?

Any reason I can't just install the plugs?

Wow! I never knew that!
Clue 1!!! lol:read2:

I did look at the plate, and it does not appear to be a later style one.

Just need to find the time to get it back together to see if the plugs solve my problem.

Thanks!

Installed the plugs, put it back together and fired it up.

Absolutely no change! Not sure what the problem is, but fixing this leak changed the noise not one whit. Not the volume, not the speed at which it happens, nothing.

I'm at a loss. I'm going to try changing the fuel pump as that is, so far, the only thing that has made the noise better (ran it once without the pump). It does appear that the pump (aftermarket large body) is up against a casting lump on the block. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't know what else to do, other than swap the motor out for a GenIII Hemi.

ok.....you put a windage tray on it, what motor?

if you stuck he tray onto 273/318 main caps,
did you use the hardened washers underneath the main bolts?
stock 340/360 min cap bolts are too long and bottom out before the torque spec can be met=loss of pressure and issues to come..
and can you put your hand on the motor and feel the noise?

Sorry, missed that you had replied until this morning.

I wonder, what pistons did u use?
did you do the 'reverse the pistons trick' to unload the skirt and free up torque?

I didn't build the motor originally, got a deal on the rebuild but meant that he put it together. Not sure what the pistons are, but I don't think they are anything better than common grade rebuilder pistons from the early 90's. Motor didn't make this noise in the some odd 50k miles it was in the car for prior to being re-introduced to the chassis, so I can't see that the pistons being reversed as the issue.

and what cam?

Isky Mega 270

ok.....you put a windage tray on it, what motor?

if you stuck he tray onto 273/318 main caps,
did you use the hardened washers underneath the main bolts?
stock 340/360 min cap bolts are too long and bottom out before the torque spec can be met=loss of pressure and issues to come..

Motor is the original 360 that came in the car. Windage tray is also the original one.

and can you put your hand on the motor and feel the noise?

Don't know that I have tried that. Used the screwdriver method to try and identify it, most of the noise was under the timing chain cover. I will fire it up on Thursday when I have time to get back to it and see if I can feel it.

-
Back