motor number, casting etc

-

mikess68

Reaction score
where is the motor number on a 318 or 340 so i can find out what is in the dart. it has factory ac and i have a fear it is under the compressor. and im not removing it to find out. any help?? tks

On the underside of the cylinder banks. One side will have time and date of casting, the other will have CID and a casting number.

Driver's side will have the cid in the casting number.

Engine serial number (not to be confused with the VIN number) is stamped on the front of the block below the driver's side head surface, it has the cid also.

i dont' see the numbers, the motor has been painted, can anyone show me a pci so i dont' have to scrape the whole thing off. or a little closer detail. any help, tks:clock:

And the numbers are big, couple inches tall I think

wow, i can't believe my luck, or lack of it. the dam headers are hinding the number above the starter, i might can get under or something. i might never find out. id scratch off the paint if i knew where to scratch. . im stuck.

Memike is right the numbers are about 2 inches tall.You should be able to see them unless your engine is real greasy.The headers may be in the way you may have to jack it up and get a flash light.If I remember right the casting numbers are on both sides of the block.If you find these numbers I can tell you what kind of engine you have.Casting numbers are also about 2 inches tall.
Jim

Hey Mike, Unless I`ve gone senile the engine numbers are also stamped into the block on the drivers side just below the front of the head and are parallel with the deck. God bless you, Wayne

ill try again. i think ill scrape around on the front of the block, i got some paint for it. maybe wont be too big of a mess. tks

the number on the block next to the drivers side head.

any help with that or a site that will decode??

not great pics, but here ya go, engine is a 340

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

that number is the stamped SN in the block at the end of the head, will that tell me anything?

Like AlaskanTA and RM23UOA said, check just below the drivers side head on the front of the block, there should be a CID stamping.

the number i found has a couple of numbers, then a blob that might be an 0 or part of a number. it looks like this

27_81_3 the blanks look like a round"0: filled in maybe. is that any closer. it is the casting number between the 1 and 2nd cyl on the pass side.

the number i found has a couple of numbers, then a blob that might be an 0 or part of a number. it looks like this

27_81_3 the blanks look like a round"0: filled in maybe. is that any closer. it is the casting number between the 1 and 2nd cyl on the pass side.
That sould be the casting date= 73?

it is a 318 , date is 3*18*72. weird thing. the numbers are written backwards on the Pass side. really! it is printed on the block... 27*81*3 no wonder. ! i dont know how that happened?? (and before you say it, i was not looking at a mirror!) 8)

-
Back