Motor sitting for years, what to do?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
So the motor in the Valiant has been sitting for a decade+, it had a semi fresh rebuild on it a few years before it was parked, MAYBE 10k miles on it? give or take a few thou. I already plan on pulling the motor anyways to do some rewire of the rat and birds nest it has become in the time I drove it.
Would there be a need to pull it all aprt and freshen it up with bearings, rings and seals Or can I get away with changing oil and running seafoam, or another engine cleaner, through it for a bit after its running again. It hasnt been started in probably 4-6 years time.

Oh, it's a 318 +.030 or .040, stock heads and a small RV cam, nothing spectacular.

Change the oil. Drain the carb. Pull the distributor and use a rod to spin the oil pump with a drill. Some have said pull the valve covers snd gently tap the rockers on the valves to free them up. Spray a little oil in the cylinders and spin it over with the plugs out. Reinstall the plugs prime the carb and fire it up. I also add a little atf to the gas i prime the carb with to lube things inside.

It might complain a little (meaning lifters tick, etc) but I'd replace the oil, pull the plugs, turn it over with the fender relay to get the oil moving, then put the plugs in and start it. That's worked for things parked much longer than what you're talking about.

IMO if you dont prime it like stated above you will be taking a chance of ruining bearings and tappets/cam lobes, I would also add some type of ZDDP additive when you put in fresh oil

Attachments

• rislone additive.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 306
Pull the plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder, put the plugs in and make sure that it turns with a wrench. If yes, pour a little gas in the carb and start-r-up!

I'd start with putting a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the top of each cylinder. Allow to set overnight. Then go with what daredevil said less the oil in the top of the cylinder as the MMO has that covered.

No worries, dad made a primer tool out of an old distributer loooong before I started fartin around with cars. It'll definatly be getting used.

No worries, dad made a primer tool out of an old distributer loooong before I started fartin around with cars. It'll definatly be getting used.
I hope you meant "an old distributor drive gear/shaft as there is nothing in the distributer that will help you prime the engine, you have to remove the oil pump drive gear/shaft, then insert a shaft that has the same end as a drive gear without a gear on it then hook that to a drill, then you can prime the engine.

Mines an old oil pump intermediate shaft that I ground the teeth off of.I put a big slotted screwdriver bit in my drill to spin it.

the main thing is...do the cyl walls have some surface rust at the rings...
prime it first!
Then oil in the cylinders and rotate the motor and inch or so back n forth and pay attention for any tight spots. jma....

I hope you meant "an old distributor drive gear/shaft as there is nothing in the distributer that will help you prime the engine, you have to remove the oil pump drive gear/shaft, then insert a shaft that has the same end as a drive gear without a gear on it then hook that to a drill, then you can prime the engine.
Yes that's what I meant, it has the actual gear ground smooth and round.

Yes that's what I meant, it has the actual gear ground smooth and round.
Good then your all set, FYI: unless it came out of a big block like the one my machine shop supplied me, it dosen't reach down far enough to spin the pump, so just make sure it is from a small block engine,

Do your self a favour, I have just done this on a car that had been sitting for over 15 years & started occassionly.
We changed the oil, pulled the plugs & put a small amount of oil in the cylinders, turned it over by hand & primed the oil pump.
Ran perfect & quite because it had been sitting for so long it developed a water leak from the rear freeze plugs & a oil leak from the pan so we pulled the engine to replace all the gaskets, this is what we found.
KarlsEBay198.jpg

KarlsEBay201.jpg

KarlsEBay203.jpg

KarlsEBay207.jpg

All up in the end it needed new rings & bearings, cam & a head service.

-
Back