motor swap in from bottom

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
So this worked very well. I was able to do this myself with basic stuff and it was much easier then from the top. The headers were put on the motor on an engine stand which took 10 minutes compared with 3 hours in the car. Then I put the motor on the hoist and lowered it and bolted it to the K frame sitting on some moving dollies. Then I needed about 15 more inches up on the body to have enough room to roll it under. I used the floor jack on one side and the engine hoist on the other doing a little at a time and moving jack stands up as I went. Then the motor under and back down. Now the motor was to low by about 8 inches so I picked the whole assembly up with the hoist until the bolts on the k memeber lined up.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Lots of guys advocate and do this. It's not for me, as I have a "dirt floor" under my chassis hoist!!!

looking at the pics makes that block on the jack look scary! Good thing I wasn't paying attention... just kidding, there is a jack stand right behind it that I inched up every couple of pumps. The hardest part was getting the hoist back far enough while it was still sitting on the dollies as the legs weren't wide enough. I finally just let it reach and gently let it swing forward a few inches as it picked it up off the dolly, then removed the dolly and rolled it back the couple of inches hanging from the hoist. What surprised me is that it didn't really have to go that high to get it under the radiator support.

I'm just about to do the some thing as getting the engine & box out from the top was a killer.
Is there any reason you didn't fit the box to the engine & do the lot at the same time?

looking at the pics makes that block on the jack look scary! Good thing I wasn't paying attention... just kidding, there is a jack stand right behind it that I inched up every couple of pumps. The hardest part was getting the hoist back far enough while it was still sitting on the dollies as the legs weren't wide enough. I finally just let it reach and gently let it swing forward a few inches as it picked it up off the dolly, then removed the dolly and rolled it back the couple of inches hanging from the hoist. What surprised me is that it didn't really have to go that high to get it under the radiator support.

Really does look scary. If I had a lift I'd do it that way. Nice work!

wheres the transmission? i wouldnt have went through all that without putting the trans in there with it , but thats just me.

I'm still needed to get my tranny rebuilt. I just can't afford it but I need the car back as a roller before my wife revolts f she loses here garage space and has to park in the snow (which fell this morning BTW). I figure the tranny can go in underneath later easy enough.

-
Back