Mounted tach without drilling new holes

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I installed a tach about a month ago. I didn't want to make any new holes on the original pillar trim. So, I was able to get away with using only one screw that was already there to support the pillar moulding.

By using two thin rubber weatherstripping pieces on the bottom of the plate, it was able to stay firmly in place and not move even with just one screw holding it. I also used heat shrink tubing to keep the wires clean.

Hopefully this helps someone else who is wanting to install a small tach but not wanting to drill any new holes either.

tach1.jpg

tach2.jpg

very nice looks good I want to use one of the new retro tachs that summit brought out but I would like to place it on the cowl outside of the car hmmmmmmmm

Here's another alternative for you guys who want to mount an aftermarket tach for great visibility, no new holes, and no hose clamps on the steering column. Sorry, description only...no pics available.
Back about 1970, I mounted my tach on the shoulder harness buckle/visor mounting plate in the top left corner by the windshield.
It worked great until the one time I got stopped by the local police telling me it obstructed my vision (it really didn't, but wasn't compliant to the law). I rewired it with a small plug connector so all I had to do to get the 'fix-it' ticket cleared was unplug the tach and stash the wire on top of the visor. Got the ticket cleared, plugged in the tach and drove away. Never got stopped again.

-
Back