mounting bucket seats

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I have a set of buckets I want to put in my 63 dart but the mounting holes don't line up by a long shot. My plans are to weld 1/8" by 3 1/2 fender washers to the inside and outside of the floor pans for reinforcement and go from there. Is this a safe way to mount the seats or should I try to make a frame that will use the old mounting locations?

I remeber a guy bolting some alternate seats in a car then finding the door wouldn't close. Anyway....
Captains chairs were bolted in conversion vans with large washers that weren't even welded so yeah you can put whatever fits in there. Don't drill into anything underneath and you'll be fine.

Thanks Redfish, There is nothing in the way underneath and the floor is pristene. Not even a spec of rust anywhere. I can always modify it if it doesn't feel safe. Thanks again.

No I said plates are needed but not nesessarily welded.
My responce will vary case to case.
When installing the correct seats I'll nearly demand it be done correctly.
When alternate seats are going in I refer to the captains chairs, tables, etc., in conversion vans. Splained myself I think :)

Put buckets in my 63. Eclipse or Talon iirc. Made some brackets and used fender washers underneath the floor pan with correct length bolts. Looks good and is solid. Pics if you're interested. Mike

No I said plates are needed but not nesessarily welded.
My responce will vary case to case.
When installing the correct seats I'll nearly demand it be done correctly.
When alternate seats are going in I refer to the captains chairs, tables, etc., in conversion vans. Splained myself I think :)

It shouldnt matter wether they are correct seats or not, mounting them safely should be a similar procedure.
Try to tie into the existing outer mounting tabs if possible. If not cut a piece 1/8" steel to cover both the existing stud hole and the new one. Bolt in place through the old hole and weld down the plate with an inch or so of bead on each edge, if possible. Also weld in a pair of steel plates (3"x4" or larger) on top of the pan in a similar manner for the inner seat studs. Of course make sure your seat is positioned to allow the door to close, not too close to the tunnel, is back/forward enough, etc. before drilling or welding. Also check seat bottom cushion height and compare to original. Too low will be uncomfortable, to high and you'll have to take your hat off or it will do it for you :-D
Belt and suspenders guys, you dont want your seat flexing and cracking the floor.

Well, I got the buckets halfway installed and I didn't like the look. So they are coming back out and I will be staying with the bench seat. I just think the bench seat looks more at home in my car. Thanks for all the help though.

-
Back