Mounting New water pump on slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I am near to putting some of the items back on this slant 6 i have on my stand. I bought a new water pump, but need to ask a question before I go mounting this thing on the block.
When I opened the box, I noticed that there is the water pump body. I flip it over and see that there is a back plate that is held by the water pump blade. In between the water pump body and this plate, there is a gasket. Does this gasket also need to have sealant on it?
I know when I attach the waterpump assy to the block, there will be another gasket and sealant betwen the housing and the block.

I put a very small amount of gasket sealer all the way around the gasket behind the plate to hold it in place during install. I also wait until I have the engine back in the car to install the water pump. Just personal preference.

That plate does not make a pressure seal, so no gasket needed. Its purpose is to direct the water flow. It is typical for water pump bolt holes to penetrate engine chambers, like crankcase (oil) or coolant (water). Check each one with a wire to see if blind. If not, you must seal the bolt threads. I use "gasket sealant", which is a liquid goo that stays flexible, and cleans up with ethanol. To temporarily hold the metal plate in place, you could use vasoline, a few dabs of RTV, or maybe bearing grease. I would probably use RTV (the day before).

I used Permatex High Tack on one side of each gasket to hold them in place. If memory correct -lower left bolt should be the only 'wet' one (looking from the front). I used high tack on those threads, but later got high temp thread sealant to use on manifold studs, probably would have been the better choice. I put everything possible on ahead of time, but thats only if installing from bottom. Nice to do most of this sitting in a chair next to it instead of laying over a fender...

Attachments

• IMG_0472a.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 638
I am near to putting some of the items back on this slant 6 i have on my stand. I bought a new water pump, but need to ask a question before I go mounting this thing on the block.
When I opened the box, I noticed that there is the water pump body. I flip it over and see that there is a back plate that is held by the water pump blade. In between the water pump body and this plate, there is a gasket. Does this gasket also need to have sealant on it?
I know when I attach the waterpump assy to the block, there will be another gasket and sealant betwen the housing and the block.
No you do not need sealant on the inner gasket because there is two new Surface.

I put a small amount on when I did mine in the car, because the gasket kept sliding down and the bolts wouldn't line up. It took about three tries to get it in there with the way it kept moving. Also ZKX14, you say the lower left one is "wet" meaning it makes contact with water I'm assuming. Mine was incredibly long, would that block whatever it was sitting in? Or are they all like that. I'd say it's about 1 1/2" long.

Not sure what you mean by 'block'. Anytime a bolt passes through to water or oil from the outside the threads must be sealed. Some go into blind holes that are all metal or pass through metal only and open to back so could only leak if gasket failed where they pass through

Not sure what you mean by 'block'. Anytime a bolt passes through to water or oil from the outside the threads must be sealed. Some go into blind holes that are all metal or pass through metal only and open to back so could only leak if gasket failed where they pass through

Ok that makes sense. Mine's sealed for that. I just thought maybe they had potential to go through metal and just be sitting in some small passage of the water jacket. nvm. it was a dumb thought. lol:D

-
Back