Move Rad forward

-

ronw

Reaction score
Has anyone moved the rad forward through the radiator support fame to get more clearance for electric fans? The car is a 68 dart big block 440 held in place with elephant ears. I need 3 1/2 " from the nose of the water pump to the back of the rad. Pics would help a lot. Ron

Has anyone moved the rad forward through the radiator support fame to get more clearance for electric fans? The car is a 68 dart big block 440 held in place with elephant ears. I need 3 1/2 " from the nose of the water pump to the back of the rad. Pics would help a lot. Ron

Ron: What kind of h.p. are u trying to keep cool ??
I ve been experimenting w/ fans the last couple of weeks. I have 3 1/4" between mine . I just pulled off a jaguar fan clutch w/ about 45 minutes on it /7 blade alum factory fan. I went back to a belt driven flexfan I tried earlier. I fit my custom shroud better. I have tried diff elec. fans and flexfan combinations, and haven`t seen a whole bunch of diff. in any of them.
The jaguar clutch fan is 2 5/8" tall and will fit in a 3 1/2" space. I did machine my water pump off the same thickness as my motor plate to use it tho. I also machined a support ring for the jaguar flange/ as it has slots instead of holes. I have the correct studs and nuts w/ it to make it work.
I have a few of the fans pics, I`ve tried on my phone if ur interested , they will be for sale. I cant post pics on here, but can send them to ur phone. The elec fans I tried were not as good as a belt driven set up. The dual fans are on a reworked alum shroud that was originally made for a 16" fan , which I sold, they were not factory, or hi dollar units and flowed 1400 cfm apiece. The 16" fan was supposed to flow 3000, but didn`t work w/ my h.p.. I attribute their downfall to be the 1/2" thick shroud they are/were on, blocking air flow. I have a trans cooler and 15" pusher fan in front of the rad., that already block enough air. I have been told by a couple of guys on here to get rid of the fan in front, will probly do that next.-----testing on 95-96 * days that have fairly high humidity------------JFYI -----Bob

Ron: What kind of h.p. are u trying to keep cool ??
I ve been experimenting w/ fans the last couple of weeks. I have 3 1/4" between mine . I just pulled off a jaguar fan clutch w/ about 45 minutes on it /7 blade alum factory fan. I went back to a belt driven flexfan I tried earlier. I fit my custom shroud better. I have tried diff elec. fans and flexfan combinations, and haven`t seen a whole bunch of diff. in any of them.
The jaguar clutch fan is 2 5/8" tall and will fit in a 3 1/2" space. I did machine my water pump off the same thickness as my motor plate to use it tho. I also machined a support ring for the jaguar flange/ as it has slots instead of holes. I have the correct studs and nuts w/ it to make it work.
I have a few of the fans pics, I`ve tried on my phone if ur interested , they will be for sale. I cant post pics on here, but can send them to ur phone. The elec fans I tried were not as good as a belt driven set up. The dual fans are on a reworked alum shroud that was originally made for a 16" fan , which I sold, they were not factory, or hi dollar units and flowed 1400 cfm apiece. The 16" fan was supposed to flow 3000, but didn`t work w/ my h.p.. I attribute their downfall to be the 1/2" thick shroud they are/were on, blocking air flow. I have a trans cooler and 15" pusher fan in front of the rad., that already block enough air. I have been told by a couple of guys on here to get rid of the fan in front, will probly do that next.-----testing on 95-96 * days that have fairly high humidity------------JFYI -----Bob

I forgot, I did put a flowkooler water pump on it, it`s shorter than a reg. hi volume pump too!

I admit to being old and old school, YES carbs not FI, etc etc.... but I have never had a cooling problem in 30 yrs of mopars, from slants to hemis, never had a car that did not cool using the factory oem parts. WHAT is the fixation with electric fans!?????

I admit to being old and old school, YES carbs not FI, etc etc.... but I have never had a cooling problem in 30 yrs of mopars, from slants to hemis, never had a car that did not cool using the factory oem parts. WHAT is the fixation with electric fans!?????
I think a lot of people are chasing horsepower - gain a few with electric fans and electric water pump. To each their own.

I guess, but all I hear is how these cars over heat on the highway!! not the strip!
Thanks Guys. Not after HP gains, just want a cool motor. Not sure of HP in my motor but it's a 540 stroker in a MP Siamese block. I have 1 1/4" from the nose of the pump to the back of the Rad. The twin electric fans with shroud is 3"s thick. What did you save in depth by going to the flowkooler pump and I guess they make a pulley to go with it? Ron

Thanks Guys. Not after HP gains, just want a cool motor. Not sure of HP in my motor but it's a 540 stroker in a MP Siamese block. I have 1 1/4" from the nose of the pump to the back of the Rad. The twin electric fans with shroud is 3"s thick. What did you save in depth by going to the flowkooler pump and I guess they make a pulley to go with it? Ron
Also forgot to mention that the radiator is a Griffin two row each 1 1/8" wide with the accompanying shroud and fans. I would be happy with a mechanical fan and shroud if I could get the clearance distance I need. Ron

The Hayden 2947 clutch fan requires 2.7" clearance, you have lotsa room.
Hayden Fan Clutches 2947

There was also a 7 blade mechanical fan listed for sale not long ago that bolts directly to pulley, more room.

That's not much clearance,1 1/4". Somethings off. Is that radiator that thick? The flange mounts extra deep? The motor in the right place? Does the trans crossmember bolt up properly? Whats taking up all that room?

I have seen some cars with electric fans mounted in front of the radiator so they push air through vs. pull air through.

You can push the air through the radiator as a last resort but keep in mind that pushing is about 30% less efficient than pulling. With a big motor, that could be the difference between comfortable temps and uncomfortable temps.

In our old Valiants and Lancers, Chrysler moved the radiator about as far forward as they could. You could try this but it would need some backyard engineering!
IMG_8026.JPG

I will ne running a stock 7 blade fan on my next build but have to say that I am a bit weary ever since the water pump shaft on a 454 Monte sheared off while I was tuning it !

I will ne running a stock 7 blade fan on my next build but have to say that I am a bit weary ever since the water pump shaft on a 454 Monte sheared off while I was tuning it !
Sounds like ur rad. is not mounted up flush w. the cradle to me. I have a 2 row w/ 1 1/4 tubes, and have more room than that, and I know a 68 barracuda is no bigger than a darts engine bay.
If yur not against the cradle , cut the mounting system off , and have 4 brakets welded/heliarced/ soldiered, on that will make it sit flush.Either that or u have the engine mounted forward from stock. Did unused the trans mount as a guide to installing it ?

Sounds like ur rad. is not mounted up flush w. the cradle to me. I have a 2 row w/ 1 1/4 tubes, and have more room than that, and I know a 68 barracuda is no bigger than a darts engine bay.
If yur not against the cradle , cut the mounting system off , and have 4 brakets welded/heliarced/ soldiered, on that will make it sit flush.Either that or u have the engine mounted forward from stock. Did unused the trans mount as a guide to installing it ?
Your right Bob, that my next step. I did have a large pusher but as noted it wasn't good enough. Thank you to all who responded to my problem. Ron

Your right Bob, that my next step. I did have a large pusher but as noted it wasn't good enough. Thank you to all who responded to my problem. Ron
I just pulled my pusher off, (suggested by stansblu72),will test the beltdriven flexfan w/o it when it hits about 96, just for comparison.

-
Back