Moving on to another new job.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
I start Monday at a Ford dealer in the collision repair center. I'm excited!
I graduate with my associates degree on friday (the 15th).

This is the job I really wanted. I had been interviewed 5 times over the past several months and my instructors actually knew I had the job before I did.

I'm a bit nervous because they are starting me at a mid-tech which will really be pushing my actual skill level, but the shop manager already knows that.

As the shop manager explained, he had talked to my instructors frequently and knew exactly where I was.

I can do a correct repair at or above industry standards, which is the important thing.

But my focus has been on accuracy and not speed. I still get things done in a timely manner but now I will be working flat rate right from the get go.

I may be tired and hungry for a little while. lol

Being hourly in the beginning gives you a safety net but flat rate will motivate me to develop.

Congrats.
Glad you got what you wanted.

I worked as a flat rate line tech for years,hated flat rate and all the associated hassles.

It had its good and bad points but for the most part forced you to hurry your repairs which in my opinion only benefits the owner of the shop especially if you lose your *** all week long.....but on the other hand it is nice to turn over 100 hours a week and only work 40-50 hours.

Both shops I worked at had their favorite butt kissers that got a majority of the gravy jobs while the guys like me that just did his work without getting involved in the gossip chain, the drama and the butt kissing got stuck with the grunt work.

Either way, being thrown to the wolves is the best way to learn and accel.....good luck and hope you do well!

That's great to hear S340. I'm excited for ya! :thumbup:

I wish you all the best in your new position.

Good to hear you got the job you wanted doing what you want-

That's great! You'll do real good with all the knowledge you exhibit here. I am sure you'll be an asset. Good luck.

I would never gamble with my income doing flat rate in a bodyshop unless I was the painter. Could you imagine doing door skins one after the other..Typical skin pays 6-6.5 hours and I dont know a sole that can R&I a door strip the guts out of it and do a good job in that time...I know I would loose my ***.

Pretty ballsy, hard money career choice there bro, stay safe and don't be afraid to exercise those "public speaking skills" if things get crazy.

Your smart enough not to be a grunt forever.

Congrats on the job! Don't be nervous about it, you'll get the hang of it. I work on flat rate, around here that's all the body shops will do it anymore. The body business aint what it used to be.
I make good time every week, but then again I'm a combo tech.

Congrats glad to hear you got the position you wanted,one question tho you gotta have a degree to do bodywork now? Hell i remember when a highschool diploma was the only requirement to have a job, man how this country has changed.

Congrats glad to hear you got the position you wanted,one question tho you gotta have a degree to do bodywork now? Hell i remember when a highschool diploma was the only requirement to have a job, man how this country has changed.

No you don't but you can get one if you want one.

Ok, a little update.

My job is awesome! Imagine getting paid to do your hobby. I feel guilty.

My manager is shocked at my production and accuracy.

I should have done this 20 years ago.

-
Back