moving shifter from the tree to the floor

-

MassDuster

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im thinking of picking up a 73 duster (if my deal for a 72 falls through). The 73 has a 440 with a 727 auto trans with shifter on the tree.

If I get this car, I want to move the shifter to the floor. I figured over the winter I'd do this, and install power steering at the same time.

My main question is, how big of a deal is moving the shifter to the floor, and does anyone have any suggestions on what shifter to run in the duster. Its not a matching numbers car, so Im not worried about a stock shifter/console. Hurst, B&M?

Also, any recommendations for a good power steering unit/steering column?

Thanks! I'd just like to know what Im getting into time/cost wise before I jump into it.

With a 440 it may not fit power steering depending on headers. Id check what headers you have and see if power steering fits. as far as the floor shifter I have no input on that.

very easy swap that you an do in a few hours..as far as power steering...i wouldnt bother considering most mopar guys nowadays look to go back to manual b/c the box is MUCH lighter and smaller and easier to fit headers and such. but anyways a few small holes with something like a cheetah shifter or a quicksilver or TCI equiv and you'll be happy for sure....i just cut the piece with the colum shift knob clean off of my colum.

Thanks fellas. There were a couple cars I was looking at - and it looks like the
one that I'm getting in the end has a B&M megashifter.

I've heard a lot of gold things about the cheetah before, so I'll check out the B&M and if I don't dig it I'll know what to swap out too!

Anyone use both the B&M and the cheetah? What's the main differences?

Here's what I did to my column when I installed the floor shifter.

Cut everything off and add a little bondo, sand her down and shoot
her.

Attachments

• DSCF1702 (Medium).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF1716 (Medium).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF1717 (Medium).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF1719 (Medium).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCF1720 (Medium).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF1721 (Medium).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF1775 (Medium).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 172
I did the exact same thing as Tony did....camae out great.

I also did a write up on it...so if your looking for ideas look my thread up on how to tackle the job

-
Back