Mowing with child on your lap

-
Most ridering mowers now have a host of safety features on them so you nearbout caint even cut grass anymore, let alone cut somebody's leg off. When I put mine in reverse, it automatically cuts the engine if I have the blade engaged.

People run over their kids with their cars backing out of their driveway... The feds want to mandate backup cameras and sensors to prevent the accidents.

Once upon a time there were natural consequences which ensured the survival of the fittest. If your dad told you to hold on tight and not to squirm, and you you were wriggling like a worm, well... If you your dad showed you the spinning flywheel on an old tractor and said don't touch that it will rip your arm off and you just had to see if he meant it, well...

Even with all the warning labels, safety guards, etc people still get hurt. You can't fix stupid.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is working on rules to require all new passenger cars, trucks, SUVs and vans to include backup camera technology by 2014. On average, experts speculate this addition will not come out of the manufacturers' pockets, but will instead be tacked onto the average price of a car -- raising prices by about $200.

Driving in reverse is difficult for a majority of drivers. Drivers of large SUVs and minivans, in particular, have extra trouble backing out of driveways and parking spots, and if a pedestrian is crossing behind them, This results in hundreds of tragic accidents each year. Data cited by NHTSA indicate that more than 220 Americans die each year because they were backed over. About 17,000 injuries occur in such accidents.

As a car accident attorney, I’ve seen my fair share of accidents in which pedestrians got hit because a driver simply couldn’t see them when backing up. The NHTSA’s proposal is a good one. Even with the costs of the backup camera technology added to the price of a new car, the accidents it could prevent make it well worth the cost.

If you or someone you love was injured in an accident involving a driver who didn’t see you behind their car, consider consulting with an experienced attorney. We can fight for the justice you deserve as the victim of someone else’s carelessness.

People run over their kids with their cars backing out of their driveway... The feds want to mandate backup cameras and sensors to prevent the accidents.

Once upon a time there were natural consequences which ensured the survival of the fittest. If your dad told you to hold on tight and not to squirm, and you you were wriggling like a worm, well... If you your dad showed you the spinning flywheel on an old tractor and said don't touch that it will rip your arm off and you just had to see if he meant it, well...

Even with all the warning labels, safety guards, etc people still get hurt. You can't fix stupid.

amen

was just mowing the lawn with my 3 year old lil girl last night. my lil tractor has so many guards on it i really don't see her getting caught in anything if she somehow fell off. she stands between my legs with her hands on the wheel. she is locked in place by my arms and legs. don't really see the problem.. sooner she can figure out how to mow the lawn it sooner i can stop.. :)

Yeah some things are just natural selection.

If common sense really was............. 'nuf said

Jake rode on the lawn tractor a few times when I had a lawn big enough for one, not engaged and just for fun. I always had him in the other yard while cutting the opposite one, as well as while using the trimmer. Now that he is mowing the lawn, I keep his lil brother completely out of the same 1/2 of the yard.

Yeah, we like to have fun and we take risks at times doing it... I'm sure we all do at times.... But if you keep the safety-minded end in sight, it usually ends up being fun and safe. Not just with the lawn work, but with power tools in general. Jake thinks nothing of it to put on ear/eye/hand protection and (at times) a dust mask - If any of you are following our 65build, you'll see him geared up....

And yes, even letting him drive the truck pulling the boat the 5 miles from the water/ramp to the main road when he was 12-13....

My next door neighbor Dan cuts the lawn with his kids on his lap with a riding lawn mower. Hell I was 3 or 4 and my parent's friends kid, now an actual friend rather than little kid friends, Nick and I both rode on his parent's riding mower by ourselves. Unfortunately I live in suburbia so I haven't been able to do some things that others do, but they sound awesome and if I live in a place where they can do it, I'll let my kids drive around in a truck or run around blowing things up with gas or use firecrackers without supervision. Just a couple years ago, my brother and I each grabbed a row of them, took them apart so that we could light each one individually, then lit em and thew them at each other. Great fun.

wow what an itchy vag start to a thread , every year at least 2 kids from my neighbourhood alone where hit by streetcars did the city outlaw public transportation ? Hint the answer is NO , the activities and experiences we enjoyed in our youth shaped us into the adults we are today , you learn to respect machinery which is very different from fearing it. to see a thread like this started here on a forum dedicated to older cars is dumbfounding .
PS I too drove cars from a parent /uncle/grand parents lap while they operated the peddles , we rode bikes without helmets and threw rocks at each other , made fires at the beach , collected gunpowder for bombs etc... and now I'm pushing 50 and doing most of it all over again yeehaw.

wow what an itchy vag start to a thread , every year at least 2 kids from my neighbourhood alone where hit by streetcars did the city outlaw public transportation ? Hint the answer is NO , the activities and experiences we enjoyed in our youth shaped us into the adults we are today , you learn to respect machinery which is very different from fearing it. to see a thread like this started here on a forum dedicated to older cars is dumbfounding .
PS I too drove cars from a parent /uncle/grand parents lap while they operated the peddles , we rode bikes without helmets and threw rocks at each other , made fires at the beach , collected gunpowder for bombs etc... and now I'm pushing 50 and doing most of it all over again yeehaw.

Yep....same here.

Hell, I was three years old in 84' and my dad had taught me how to shift the 5 speed in the 69' Suburban and even what the "granny gear" was. Good times. My dad used to and still does drink entirely way to much and I remember driving him home because he was tanked when I was 12 years old in a 76' Monte Carlo. I learned I didn't want to be like that and haven't, but I learned a lot from his teachings too. Hell, I feel the road was a safer place with me driving at age 12, then him driving plastered at age 32.

I guess we are all going to hell for doing burn outs while the kids in the car. Doesnt matter theyre hollering do it again daddy do it again! Friggin child endangerment. My daughter drove my lifted ramcharger at 10. Sideswiped it on the gate post too but no big deal she got a life lesson. At 6 I used to let her drive the boat. Damn good thing I taught her to operate it too. Wife was trying to tie me off to a rig when we were offshore fishing and got pulled off the boat. I ran up and grabbed my wife and hollered for my daughter to back up the boat. If my wife had been caught between the rig leg barnacles and the boat she,d probably have bled to death before we could get to the hospital. My daughter about 8 then knew exactly what to do. She was our hero that day. Lifes dangerous. Dont be scared tho.Teach your kids. Better to live a little dangerously than have them stupid and illiterate.

i let my son and daughter both ride with me and steer on the mower and in the truck. for the mower one gets to ride one week and the other one the next. and for the truck they sit on my lap and we just go out in the field and take turns. its fun, its a great moral booster for the kids and it gives quality time that a lot of kids dont get with their parents anymore

-
Back