MP .528" solid lift cam questions...

-

daniel_depetro

Reaction score
Hello all I currently have a .484" lift Mopar 'PurpleShaft' (old version, but new cam) for my 406 BB.
I have been wanting to maybe go a tad larger without losing low end power and hopefully gain some more midrange top end. I guess I want as much mid range/top end I can get without losing low end (or at least as little as possible). The car will be daily driven (as much as possible / when I am not cruising in the Duster).
I have been thinking about the MP .528" lift solid. I have heard very good things about this cam and it has the specs that I like Power from 2,400-6,800 RPMs and everyone says it is very street friendly. The kit with lifters is $190.00.

Two questions:
1. Will this cam retain enough vacuum to run my power disk brakes?
2. Are the mech/solid lift cams a pain to keep adjusting or are they much better then back in the day? I do not want to keep pulling the valve covers and tightening valves once a week.

I don`t know what the duration of that cam is that you`re thinking of using and that`s a major factor in determining how much vacuum you`ll have. I wouldn`t think it would be much more than 290* and with that you should be okay ,if not you can always buy a vacuum pump. The valve lash should be good from oil change to oil change ,just buy a good set of adjusters/locknuts for your rocker arms.

If you are looking to maintain low end I would look at the more modern cams from Hughes or Lunati. These cams have much less advertised duration for the same duration at 0.050 which promotes good low end vacuum and the resulting power while still allowing the same top end of the older design cam.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I need all the info I can get. I'd actually prefer to stay with a hydraulic lift camshaft for ease of use and was hoping for a few people to recommend different cams that are newer age and comparable in RPM range and power.

The Lunati VooDoo cams look like they should fit the bill perfectly. Anyone use them? Any likes/dislikes about them? Any known problems with these cams?

Is there a rule of thumb to follow when checking a cam to see if it should function well with my power brakes and accessories?

Lift IN/EX: .513"/.533"
Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 234/242
LSA / ICL: 110/106
RPM Range: 2200-6400

Thats a good cam but it might fall a tad short in a 406 engine,the purple shaft your running already has a fair amount of duration (241 @ .050) so its a bit bigger.I would go the next size up in the lunati (60305) or go with the comp xe285hl,these are designed to build more cilinder psi so they actually build more low end than your current cam and will build a bit more power everywhere in the range.

hmmmm...

The next step up would be the Lunati Voodoo.

Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 242/252
Lift IN/EX: .533"/.552"
RPM Range: 2500-6600

To me that seems really huge for a street driven car. Would this cam still be drivable with descent street manners? I would like to be able to drive this car as much as possible.
The 60305 sounds like it needs more engine than I have...

That CompCam XE285HL has specs of:

Intake 545 Exhaust 545
[email protected] Intake 241 exhaust 247
Lobe Separtion 110.0 Installed @ 106.0 Intake Center Line

Maybe I should start a new thread and list my set-up and such and go from there?...

Stock factory 4-speed A-833 transmission
factory 8 3/4 rear with 3.91s and yukon axles. Maybe I should get 4.10 or 4.30s?

Engine is sitting on the stand in long block form.

406 big block (1977 400 +.030)
KB 240 pistons
440 source H-beam rods
MP windage tray
7 qt. deep sump pan with 3/8" pick-up
Edelbrock 'Performer RPM' dual plane aluminum intake manifold
Holley 'Street Avenger' 770 cfm carburetor
27.5 lbs. billet steel flywheel
Melling igh pressure oil pump
Holly 110 GPH mechanical fuel pump
MP .020" head gaskets (switch to felpro gaskets with aluminum heads)
Stock 452 heads (440 source heads in the spring/summer)
1 7/8" TTi under chassis headers (or 2" ???, will order these last)

What do you guys think? Could my engine handle the Lunati 60305 or the CompCams XE285HL.

Should I back down to the Lunati 60304 or CompCams XE275HL??

Can I forget about my power disk brakes with either of these camshafts???

What do you guys think? Could my engine handle the Lunati 60305 or the CompCams XE285HL.

Should I back down to the Lunati 60304 or CompCams XE275HL??

Can I forget about my power disk brakes with either of these camshafts???

A big cam can bleed off cylinder pressure as well. You must have decent compression to run a big cam. You might try checking with Comp Cams, they have a form you can fill in the blanks with your engine specs and they can give you a cam that will work well for what you`re trying to do.

hmmmm...

The next step up would be the Lunati Voodoo.

Duration @ .050 IN/EX: 242/252
Lift IN/EX: .533"/.552"
RPM Range: 2500-6600

To me that seems really huge for a street driven car. Would this cam still be drivable with descent street manners? I would like to be able to drive this car as much as possible.
The 60305 sounds like it needs more engine than I have...

That CompCam XE285HL has specs of:

Intake 545 Exhaust 545
[email protected] Intake 241 exhaust 247
Lobe Separtion 110.0 Installed @ 106.0 Intake Center Line

Maybe I should start a new thread and list my set-up and such and go from there?...

Stock factory 4-speed A-833 transmission
factory 8 3/4 rear with 3.91s and yukon axles. Maybe I should get 4.10 or 4.30s?

Engine is sitting on the stand in long block form.

406 big block (1977 400 +.030)
KB 240 pistons
440 source H-beam rods
MP windage tray
7 qt. deep sump pan with 3/8" pick-up
Edelbrock 'Performer RPM' dual plane aluminum intake manifold
Holley 'Street Avenger' 770 cfm carburetor
27.5 lbs. billet steel flywheel
Melling igh pressure oil pump
Holly 110 GPH mechanical fuel pump
MP .020" head gaskets (switch to felpro gaskets with aluminum heads)
Stock 452 heads (440 source heads in the spring/summer)
1 7/8" TTi under chassis headers (or 2" ???, will order these last)
I had assumed you were already running the 284/484 cam-oops,if your starting from scratch then thats a bit different.The biggest thing is what is your compression,and second how much power do you want?.My friend put the 284/484 in a low compression (8.5 to 1) 400 with stock heads (it was actually a wrecking yard engine) and with power brakes and it worked,the idle was a bit radical.In a full weight 71 satelite with
cheap headers,3.55s,auto with mild stall,mopar dual plane intake and holley 750 double pump he ran 13.50s all day long on street tires.

I would prefer something that makes as much power as the Mopar .484" but idles & drives better.

Compression will be around 9.0:1

I do not care about a set HP level. Just want a camshaft that will not interfere with my power disk brakes, power steering, and can be driven a few days a week. Once a camshaft meets all of those standards, than I want the one that produces the most power for the street (2,400-6100ish RPM range).

I would prefer something that makes as much power as the Mopar .484" but idles & drives better.

Compression will be around 9.0:1

I do not care about a set HP level. Just want a camshaft that will not interfere with my power disk brakes, power steering, and be driven a few days a week. Once a camshaft meets all of those standards, than I want the one that produces the most power for the street (2,400-6100ish RPM range).

Well then imo you cant go wrong with the voodoo you picked,it would definitely make better power and with better manners.

-
Back