mp cams

-
Everyone talks highly of this cam at the track. I have also had good results with mopar cams. Had a mp 280 474 cam in my 340 and went to a voodoo .513 .533 lift cam and gained nothing in the 1/4 mile. But the voodoo was easier on fuel. Running a howards 260 264 @.050 .616 .620 lift cam in my drag car now. Just thought id like to try the .590 to see what happens. My car is my dyno. Car is 11 to 1 comp. cleaned up pro comp rpm copies and 4200 converter with 4.88 gears. What do you think?

You know you won't be happy till ya try it, so get wrench'n

I love how people always come out of the woodwork to bash something they have never used, or used in a mismatched combo and it didn't work well.

The facts are like this. When the MP cams were originally designed....when they were Direct Connection, they were cutting edge.

Then sometime in the 1980s, they were redesigned to have a LOT more area "under the curve" to take more advantage of the .903 lifter diameter. They were cutting edge yet again. They are still a proven way to make power today. Proven. Tried and true. Absolutely ZERO guesswork. That's a tall order.

Yes, that was a long time ago. But those cams still work in a matched combination. That's what people don't get. It's not the camshaft that makes power. It's the combination.

Look at a Mopar Performance engine book at all those engine and car recipes. No one else in the industry ever did that. Ever. And if you go down the line and build one of those recipes, your car WILL run in the bracket as indicated.

Hughes does not offer that. Comp does not. Lunati does not. No other cam maker backs up their product with entire recipes showing you how to build a particular combination.

Mopar Performance did. Over 40 years ago. Seems to me they were WAY ahead of their time.

Amen. And AMEN!

That is all. Can't say it no better.

One of the things that became fairly obvious to me about cams is that there are only so many ways you can make it go up and down and they have all been done already.

Everything else is sales hype and marketing gimmicks.

From what I have seen anyway.

Neither GM nor Ford had a 27 year span of not making rear wheel drive V8 powered cars. Mopar did.

Their cams STILL work. Just because there are "more modern" grinds available, does not necessarily make them "better". It is all combination dependent.

You missed my point. I've had good luck with MP cams, although I didn't like the 509 I had. If MP had continued to grow from the 70's and early 80's we'd have tons of great parts.

Technology has changed tons since anything MP designed and made, just look at machining tolerances now versus 30 years ago.

Isn't everything "combination dependent"?

You missed my point. I've had good luck with MP cams, although I didn't like the 509 I had. If MP had continued to grow from the 70's and early 80's we'd have tons of great parts.

Technology has changed tons since anything MP designed and made, just look at machining tolerances now versus 30 years ago.

Isn't everything "combination dependent"?

No I got your point and you got half of mine. Everything IS combination dependent. That was half my point. You got it. Good.

The other half is, Direct Connection and then Mopar Performance were so far ahead of everyone else in camshaft technology back then, that they are still relevant today. They are better than a LOT of what is on the market now. Most of what people say are "better, more modern" grinds is a bunch of hype and BS.

If you are putting the same crap cylinder heads on you were using 25 years ago the camshaft may as well come from the same era. If you have gotten more modern with your heads you will probably benefit from a modern cam profile, especially one with wheels on it.

Most of what people say are "better, more modern" grinds is a bunch of hype and BS.

Far from it you want to use and think that OLD crap is good go right ahead...anyone of the newer designed cams have served me well..the "REAL" mopar performance died decades ago..

Agreed!

Those 528, 557 and 590 cams work really well regardless of how old they are.

I gotta ask, stroked 340, have you ran any of the above grinds. I have.
I run the 557 in my lowly 383 67 fastback, click off consistent mid 11's since time began. lol
my brother runs the 590 in his 440 duster high 10's since time began.
both cars in street trim. it helps having blueprinted shortblocks and ported heads. lol
I'm gonna have to bring the pickup truck to Etown and set on full kill. it might have one of those special cams you speak of.

I like the MP cams, had a 528 in a stock 383 with intake and headers, went 12.60 in a 3500 coronet.

Now I have the 590 in that same 383 with 11.3:1 compression thanks to new pistons. And it's in a 72 dart, we will see how much better it does this year!

My uncle ran the 590 in a 440 with l2295s and at 3900 and some change ran 11.40 with stock 906 heads.

I run the 557 in my lowly 383 67 fastback, click off consistent mid 11's since time began. lol
both cars in street trim. it helps having blueprinted shortblocks and ported heads. lol
I'm gonna have to bring the pickup truck to Etown and set on full kill. it might have one of those special cams you speak of.

No not those grinds but i did run the .484 and .509 both were dogs in a 340,that was enough to never want to use a Mopar cam ever again..you come on down to e-town:D:D

Yeah those .590 cams are outdated and dont run worth a damm.... I only ran 10.20's at around 130 mph in bracket mode... won alot of rounds with this combination

This was just a typical pass on my old bracket car... 360 stock stroke ported J heads, .590 cam, victor 340 manifold, 850 demon, 904, 8" converter, 65 Valiant.

What have the haters run with their "modern" flat tappet cams

Attachments

• 20160420_183932.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 186

Bwahahahaha.....

No not those grinds but i did run the .484 and .509 both were dogs in a 340,that was enough to never want to use a Mopar cam ever again..

Well its all down to combo/tune isn't it, I ran the .484 purple hyd in my street/strip stock 2.02 headed 340 back in 1985 and it ran real good 13.3's with street gears, changed to a .509, no better, then went to the .590 solid with the appropriate changes and went 12.3, not bad for a crap cam!

And as I said earlier, and more recently, as in last season, my mate was running 10.1's in his 3.75 stroke (3150lbs) 440 Dart while others with so called modern grinds and 493/512 motors were slower, its just having a bit of knowhow what to run and how.

No not those grinds but i did run the .484 and .509 both were dogs in a 340,that was enough to never want to use a Mopar cam ever again..you come on down to e-town:D:D

Too many times a mismatched combination is blamed on the camshaft...

What converter and gear ratio were you running?

That may be with someone who doesn't know what they're doing...not in this case, you want to run Mopar cams go right ahead.

That may be with someone who doesn't know what they're doing...not in this case, you want to run Mopar cams go right ahead.

You never have anything constructive to add. I think it's you who might not know what they're doin.

What converter and gear ratio were you running?

Or more importantly, where it's installed. Or buy the 484 114lsa POS and wonder why it's a dog for the "smoother idle".

Lots of the know what they are doing don't know as much as they think! :)

So tell us about your combination that did not run good... its just a question.. no need to get defensive... pretty much all combinatins can be tweaked some to be optimized... gear, timing, carb, converter stall... lots of variables.

Well its all down to combo/tune isn't it, I ran the .484 purple hyd in my street/strip stock 2.02 headed 340 back in 1985 and it ran real good 13.3's with street gears, changed to a .509, no better, then went to the .590 solid with the appropriate changes and went 12.3, not bad for a crap cam!

And as I said earlier, and more recently, as in last season, my mate was running 10.1's in his 3.75 stroke (3150lbs) 440 Dart while others with so called modern grinds and 493/512 motors were slower, its just having a bit of knowhow what to run and how.

My 73 Dart Sport went 12.40's at over 109 with the MP 280/280 .474/.474 but my junk is fairly well sorted out. That's on a fairly stock 340 with a true 9.25:1 compression and using pump gas.

Not many out there doing that much with so little.

BTW, it is DISGUSTIONG to go to the track and watch the MoPar stuff go so slow. They have all the go fast crap, but they are running low 12's or maybe mid 11's but you can see the aftermarket heads, manifold, headers all that crap. I call them underachievers.

Must be th new cams lolololololololol.

Far from it you want to use and think that OLD crap is good go right ahead...anyone of the newer designed cams have served me well..the "REAL" mopar performance died decades ago..

I didn't say either way, I just said it's all been done by someone before.
I am sure that as parts change (like heads) then profiles can change to take advantage of certain characteristics, but there are only so many speeds, durations and amounts a valve can move up and down.:D

They usually work for me. Plus 90% of what I own and drive is 25 year old crap. I simply cant afford the new and best. Its taken me 30 years to get my first set of after market heads and at that their pro comps. One of the best cams I have ran is an old comp 306 .555 solid. 40 year old grind. Kicked the crap out of a lot of a lot of strokers with the new and best cams and heads. Car ran 6.9 in 1/8 mile iron heads and 91 pump gas. Not knocking the new stuff but like said before its all in the combo.

-
Back