mp dizzy help

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well out looking over the car trying to find the topend pop/miss that i have with the 950 thats not there with the 750/aed/ho and looked at the dist. so i took the cap off and to my surprize its fireing off the side of the term. as soon as it gets to it not after but on the frontside...then i tried to turn the rotor side to side and it moves both ways about a 1/4" or more what gives...i know it should not be that much..so i went out and got a old 1 and put it into a pump drive thats not in the motor and had a little play not alot....how do i fix this problem or is this normal???i know it would be better if it fired on the middle and not the sides....somebody point me in the right direc. please..

if you mean the rotor move side to side on the distributor shaft then no, not good.
otherwise yeah, you should be able to rotate a lil 'with force' not all loose & flippity.

check fuel pressure, and what total timing r you running?

rotor should not move ccw...only clock wise for the mechanical advance

damn it! So my cheapo Advance reman dizzy for the 85 318 that I ran in the 69 a while back was a real good choice and not just the cheap way in!!!

I bought it because I didn't wanna mess with recurving the one on the solid cam 340.

i am kinda at a stand still right now. iread msd tech page and it states that if you dont have vac. adv then it should fire to the left side which is what my car is doing....but i thought you what it to fire in the middle... so im wrong.. they also say not to use a dial back light but alot of peole say its fine and thats what i use with my ign. which ibcludes a 6al box and moroso wires....so i guess i need to change that first cause the timing mybe off in either way...high/low....but i stii dont get why i can turn the rotor from clockwise to cclockwise about a 1/4" or more....i think im going to try a diff. dizzy i have 2 thats locked out so ill see whats going on with that...where do most you guys get your cap and rotor from and what brand????does msd sell 1 for stock type dizzy????anyway ill keep evrbody posted......all so with my problem the pop/miss at top end does not happen if the cars is not underlaod..in idle i can rev it to 7000 just a sec and no problem but under load it does it..(so could be feul related) gotta check the vol. of the pump and see...thanks for helping

huh???
screw vac advance.
the cap & rotor r fixed, and yes the vac advance pulls the pickup counter clockwise some to advance meanwhile the cap,rotor,disributor can not move due to being bolted down tight...so yep ...to the left it will fire.
I'm looking at a used cap right now with the burn all the way across the contact, meanwhile the locked distributor is mostly centered or at least not burnt all the way across.

Accel makes a good brass contact rotor and cap setup as does standard ignition with their HD series w/brass contacts.

nothing wrong with a dial back light...if you don't won't to use one then better get some timing tape and accurately apply it 1st finding TDC and '0' the tape there.

remember...firing marks to the left of a clockwise distributor is better than to the right cause to the right could have you spark scattering to the next contact and well...for me, that had it lighting off the end gases and scuffing the inside bottom of the cylinder.

it's all jmo, hope it helps

sounds good crazyguy i am going to jump in to it sometime this week every time i think i can work on it something comes up thanks fro all the help guys

well got to work on the car today for a few min. got the dizzy out and checked the play while i had the end in a pair of locking pliers and the rotor would turn and i look and show it has something either worn out or something i can turn the reluc. from side to side and nothing else moves..so i replaced it with 1 i have here thats locked out as well put it back and checked the play in the pump slot removed again and hit it with the mig and flat filed it to no play at all...i havent got to start it yet but will tomm. and set the timing back to 38 and see what happen from there... i got my fingers crossed...:cheers:

It ain't the shaft/ gear play. when running, the gear , from the cam gear angles, loads up clearances. It is in the dissy. What is up and down clearance in the dist shaft? The reluctor should only turn one way, when shaft is held at bottom.

The movement happening is below the plate, with the advance weights. That plate has to be removed to see it, and/or adjust it.

i dont have much up and down play in the dizzy just a few thous. that looks good to me...

-
Back