MP frame rail connectors vs. US tool ???

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Anyone actually know for sure if the US tool connectors stiffen a car much more than the mopar performance connectors. My swinger has the MP connectors (put on well before US tools were available) and Im thinking about removing them to go w. US tool connectors. They are welded in, so Im not sure if it is worth the hassle or not.

I sure would not remove what you have to replace with US Tool. If what you have were installed right I don't see the advantage. IMO

I sure would not remove what you have to replace with US Tool. If what you have were installed right I don't see the advantage. IMO
I didn't know if the exrta welds to floor wold help much. Maybe i'll save myself a lot of work and add some gussets to floor pan

THink about it this way swinger--You probably have the 2x3 connectors right???? I think they are made out of 3/16 th thick material if not more,When you look at the side of the us tool connectors do you see where there are cut out almost to 3/4 of a inch at one point????? and they are 3 sided so even though you weld them to the floor (that's your 4th side) your telling me that it has the strength of 4 sided 3/16th tube ????? No way No how---Just a thought--Steve

Think about what you are trying to achieve with frame rail connectors. Is it not to prevent body twisting (and resultant absorption of the energy meant for the tires)?

The more torque you are producing combined with sticky tires will tend to twist any car body, full frame or unibody. I believe that tying the frame rail connectors to the floor pans would, from an engineering standpoint, better prevent body twisting than connectors just anchored at the stub frame rails.

I believe U.S. Car Tool actually tested the two types of connectors by anchoring one end of the car while the other end was suspended and then hanging weights on the suspended end. That's the reason they build what they build.

You would need only a handful or small angle pieces to tie the connectors you have to the floor pans.

the us tools are slick but I wouldn't cut yours out to replace them with the us tools connector.... a few gussets welded to the floorpans and connectors on each side would be sufficient and would definitely give you as much support as the thinner us tools units although they just wouldn.t look as niceas the us tools ones when installed correctly jm2cw

Us car tool is the version I bought my duster.

I put US Cartools on my car and fabricated a set of 2x3 with a slight mod for rear floorpan on a friends car. Absolutely cannot tell the difference from one to the other but it's night and day from my car that has none. Yet! That's gonna change....

to do a car that has none on it I would def go with the us tools connectors welded to the floor pan and front and rear rails..lots of strength even though they are thinner than the 2x3 tube and if there correctly welded (no birdshit welds) look like factory rails if you want to lay under the ride and admire it..

the us tools are slick but I wouldn't cut yours out to replace them with the us tools connector.... a few gussets welded to the floorpans and connectors on each side would be sufficient and would definitely give you as much support as the thinner us tools units although they just wouldn.t look as niceas the us tools ones when installed correctly jm2cw

I bought a set of the US Car Tool Connectors for my 68 Barracuda but have since changed directions and am going to go with the 2X3 steel tubing (only because of laziness and lack of welding skills). Anyone interested in a good deal on the US Car Tool Connectors, send me a PM.

Russ

If you want to got that route, just make some templates out of cardboard on either side of the current connectors and weld to the floor and the connector that's in place, clean up the welds and paint or undercoat them.

Same end result.

-
Back