Msd 7al-2

-

retsud_043

Reaction score
Is a MSD 7AL-2 a streetable/highway driven ignition box or is a 6A better. I might do a little racing but it will mainly be a street car.
Thanks

Is a MSD 7AL-2 a streetable/highway driven ignition box or is a 6A better. I might do a little racing but it will mainly be a street car.
Thanks
I run the MSD 6A in my 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed.It see,s the track alot also alot of street.I like the fact you can swap out the rpm pills for limiting rpm(mis-shift)it,s saved my motor a couple times!OOPS!Don,t know anything about the 7-al2,does it have double rev-limiters?

Thanks

If i was you i would stay away from MSD stuff, especially the 7 series for a street car as im not sure it would like the heat a street car sees...if i was to go with a box, it would be a digital one, not one that is analog- analog is less accurate and requires you to change pills, which is expensive and a pain in the *** if you ask me...digital ones usually have a dial you can turn to whatever setting you choose...I have heard ALOT of bad things of MSD products lately- maybe there old stuff was good, but it seems like they are going down the drain quality wise...If i was you id look into something like the Mallory Highfire 6 part number#685...dont know what features your looking for, but it has alot of them...Mallory makes great stuff when it comes to boxes, but when it comes to distributors id stay msd...just my two cents

If i was you i would stay away from MSD stuff, especially the 7 series for a street car as im not sure it would like the heat a street car sees...if i was to go with a box, it would be a digital one, not one that is analog- analog is less accurate and requires you to change pills, which is expensive and a pain in the *** if you ask me...digital ones usually have a dial you can turn to whatever setting you choose...I have heard ALOT of bad things of MSD products lately- maybe there old stuff was good, but it seems like they are going down the drain quality wise...If i was you id look into something like the Mallory Highfire 6 part number#685...dont know what features your looking for, but it has alot of them...Mallory makes great stuff when it comes to boxes, but when it comes to distributors id stay msd...just my two cents
I,ve never had a problem with mine,also it came with asortment of pills(4000-8000)Have you ever ran a MSD box?Also,you don,t have to mount under your hood.

retsud043: Stick with the MSD 6A. It will work just fine for you.

I,ve seen guys at the track,have there battery drained 1/2 track(no alternator)that can,t be good for a 10 second 455 buick motor worth around $30K.

I,ve never had a problem with mine,also it came with asortment of pills(4000-8000)Have you ever ran a MSD box?Also,you don,t have to mount under your hood.

hey scott, like i said i havent actually ran one, so i cant speak from experience...but i hear WAY too much bad stuff about msd stuff crapping out...and like i said, its only with their newer stuff that i hear about...in my opinion he's much better off with a mallory box that has the same features if not more for a cheaper price....lots of guys using mallory's with no problems at all, so when it comes time for me to buy my box im definatly going with the mallory 685...just makes more sense compared to the msd product of the same equivalent....can i speak from experience though, no i cant unfortunatly....over on yellowbullet there is a thread about how many have been shafted/screwed/broke their msd stuff and only good stuff about mallory (except their distributors)

I'll second the opinion on the Mallory Box.

This one:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MAA-685&N=700+115&autoview=sku

It has a ton more features than the 6AL. Very user friendly. Quieter than the MSD Digital 6. No pills or tiny dials.

One of the best things about it is the fact that it comes with connectors right at the box. If you ever have to pull it out, you don't have to rewire the whole thing.

I've had MSDs in the past and never had any problems, but the feature list and price point on the Mallory has got me using their ignition on all of my recent projects.

Steve

Thanks

The 7AL series were not designed for extended run times,like street driven vehicles.

Thanks all for your input:thumrigh:. I kinda figured the 7AL-2 wasn't a real good choice for my application.I can get a used MSD 6A box with a MSD billet distributor and set of MSD 8.5mm wires, all parts have 8 passes on them for $300:dontknow:. The 7AL-2 was going for $225 by itself.

Have you been watching any Drag racing lately?Alot of the cars have dual dist. hanging out of those monster motors,which say MSD on top,sooo they can,t be all that bad?Restuo43 that,s a good deal for those parts(box and pro-billet dist.)!Good Luck and enjoy!

I say just the opposite I have only had good luck with MSD and bad luck with the quality of the Mallory stuff.

msd= might suddenly die

So MSD is going down the crapper???

I have used MSD ignitions in every car I have raced the last 20 years and never not once have I had a problem with one. I had 1 box that I had to send back for repair. A friend helping me with the car hooked the battery up backwards........

EDIT: I also should add I am building a 68 Dart Big block car and it has a 7al2 in it and its been in the car since the early 90s... :)

MSD stuff is good if it doesn't have to try and light the world thru a drinking straw. A friend constantly had issues with his MSD ignitions and gave up, for another brand, with great luck. I personally wouldn't have anything, but MSD, altho I've not purchase a Digital setup, yet.
I'd bet a 7AL2 would survive on the street with a lower power coil, but no doubt the charging system better be up to speed or it'll use up a battery quickly.

I had a 6a box in the Duster when I got it. Worked great.
I just went with a 6al for the rev. limiter.
Never had any problems with either.
I banged the Duster off the 6400 chip this past weekend.
Went up to a 6800 chip. I was shifting it at 6400.
I recomend the MSD boxes.

dam i can't let this go like this i need some one to tell me Y the hell you need atop fuel ign.sestem on a carb.. i dont uder stand how they ran in the low 9s high 8s with point dist.
right on right on no truer wods have been spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most people don't know what points are. Mark

-
Back