MSD Blaster 2 coil

-

shadango

Reaction score
Right now the 74 318 in my fish doesnt have a coil on it...

So yesterday I bought an MSD Blaster 2 coil and a bracket.

First, was this a good coil choice.

Second, where is the "right" mounting location?

Thanks guys.

You didnt say if you have a big or small block.
Thats the coil I'm using on my big block,you can see in the photo where I mounted it.

engine 4-08 008.jpg

My bad see your running a 318. Man its terrible to get old, first thing to goes the eyes.
Try a spot on the firewall.

If its the Red Blaster 2 its oil filled and MSD recomends that it be mounted vertically. The stock location is on the intake on the rear passenger side and that location mounts it horizontal.

Lots of folks have mounted them in the stock location and had no issues but now you can make an informed decision.

Here is a pic of the stock small block location and bracket.

Love the Blaster coil to !!! Good stuff !!!!!!

faucet pics 578.jpg

Ok, I think what I have going here is a car that had the old points stylesetup and an engine that has a more modern deal....

Anyone recognize the distributor here? Need to find the electronic ignition box that goes with it I guess?

Now that I am looking at the wiring, its pretty hacked or what appears to be that way....or maybe its just really old....the wires all appear to be black orbrown and very hard but not brittle yet......hope this doesnt turn into a nightmare....:angry7:

P3220107.jpg

P3220104.jpg

P3220113.jpg

After sniffing around a bit, looks like/wondering if I might have a mopar electronic conversion distributor in my car....

If so, I can just buy the orange box somewhere and the wiring and I should be set, right?

After sniffing around a bit, looks like/wondering if I might have a mopar electronic conversion distributor in my car....

If so, I can just buy the orange box somewhere and the wiring and I should be set, right?

If its a 74 engine then it came with electronic

Yeah its a 74 engine....but the car is a 72......and there is no box, etc.....so I need the box and the wiring for it i guess.

Also, MOPAR shows a "chrome" and and "Orange" box...any difference between them besides one being shiny? LOL

Looks like a factory electric distributor to me.

Chrome boxes have a higher RPM range but no other real advantages; not worth the money on a stock-ish motor. A hotter spark than you need is really just a waste of money.

Looks like a factory electric distributor to me.

Chrome boxes have a higher RPM range but no other real advantages; not worth the money on a stock-ish motor. A hotter spark than you need is really just a waste of money.

Well, I stopped at NAPA after work and was surprised to see that they wanted $51 for a stock ecu box! They do carry acheaper one for $38 I think it was.....

I can get the chrome for $58 and the orange for $38 online!

So not a whole lot of difference.

If having the chrome one with hotter spark isnt a BAD thing then maybe I will just go that route anyways. ??

Or you could find a HEI type module for even less, most likely. If you're into that sort of thing, some people try not to add more GM-like parts to their Mopars than the ones they already came with.

I saw some info online about the HEI stuff.....

I think for now I want to keep it as close to stock as possible.....just to get her running....then I figure I can tinker with HEI, MSD , FBO, ABC, DEF etc...LOL

Does the red MSD Blaster 2 Coil fit OK in a stock Mopar coil bracket? I was comparing it to the Mopar Blaster coil on summit's site & I see the Mopar coil is over 1/4" larger in diameter.

Does the red MSD Blaster 2 Coil fit OK in a stock Mopar coil bracket? I was comparing it to the Mopar Blaster coil on summit's site & I see the Mopar coil is over 1/4" larger in diameter.

I dont have the stock coil or bracket.....so I bought the chrome MSD bracket and am trying to decide where to mount it....

hate to make it look hacked in...

If its the Red Blaster 2 its oil filled and MSD recomends that it be mounted vertically. The stock location is on the intake on the rear passenger side and that location mounts it horizontal.

Lots of folks have mounted them in the stock location and had no issues but now you can make an informed decision.

Anyone here have a Blaster 2 mounted horizontally want to chime in and say yay or nay to the horizontal mounting?

Now that my new harness is in, it looks like the best location is the stock location...

Looks like I need a spacer and two bolts...anyone know off hand the size there?

You can always get the Hi-Viration Blaster 2 that is filled with epoxy and not have to worry about it.

Decided to get the accel superstock coil for now......took the blaster2 back.

No issues mounting the accel in the stock location according to the directions....couldnt get the vibration blaster except ot special order it.....figured the (cheaper) accel coil will do the job...and about the same price as the "premium" stock coil.....

I've seen a BMW where somebody mounted a Blaster 2 upside down... the oil didn't stay in it.

-
Back