MSD distributor cap issue

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I have a problem with the cap on my MSD distributor (part 8543) being loose on the distributor and it's messing with the timing and running like ****! The cap just attaches with 2 spring loaded screws with a 90* bend at the end to hold it tight. I noticed however that there are some threaded inserts in the distributor body. Does anybody know if there is an MSD cap with HEI terminals that actually screws down onto the distributor?? I was looking in an MSD catalog that came with the dist. and it looks like the cap that goes on the dist. for a 383-400 screws down, maybe I can use that? Any help is appreciated.

I have a similar problem with mine. First insure that it is LOCKED on and you cannot twist it round and round. Could be on there off 180 degrees. There is a notch or tab that holds it.

Mine in particular isn't a good seal. I was going to put some RV sealant around the base of the cap but after I have it installed in the car.

74, yes you can use the screws to mount the cap. i did this and felt it was a much better fit then the g.m style spring loaded clamps. if you don't have the correct screws just give msd a call and tell the tech person you need a set. they will get them off to you quickly
(915) 857-5200

terry

I used the screws to mount my cap. If memory serves me, you might have to reposition the wires one spot???? Also a word of advise on the rotor.. last year I had one of the hold down screws back out of the rotor while it was running. Fortunately it was just idling, not up at redline. The screw jambed between the rotor and cap and spun the whole distributor... quickly stopping the motor with a horrible sound!!!!!! I thought the timing chain or cam broke!!! They are now in w/locktite and checked regularly..

Bob

I had a mechanic friend come over a couple years ago to change the springs,next day car was running like $hit.This is what I found..

August 2007 021.jpg

August 2007 022.jpg

The problem with the fit is the universal application of the part(s). I wanted the HEI style cap and wires. I also would have went with a D.U.I. set up but they don't have one for small blocks do to clearance with the firewall.

Could have modified the firewall but I had a Complete MSD 6LA set up so I decided to save some coin and use it.

Damn, that sounds like a drag. I dont think I'll be going with one of their set up's.

It's not a bad setup, they just didn't use there heads on holding the cap down. I fixed it yesterday by cutting the spring loaded "dog leg" and removing it, I got two 8-32 thread screws and moved the cap to the nearest threaded holes. Just to be sure I checked the timing and I'm glad I did as it retarded 10* so I set it back where it needs to be and went for a ride. Works fine and the cap is held down nice and tight. I called MSD about it and they said it's a design flaw and they get a lot of calls on it. This issue wiped out my cap and rotor but they wouldn't send me new ones for my trouble, there goes $60

Damn, that sounds like a drag. I dont think I'll be going with one of their set up's.

Don't let the fact that someone is having problems with a dist. cap keep you from using msd products,they are probably the best ignition systems out there..i've run nothing but them in my street/strip cars..as for the dist. cap thats the same cap i use and i've never had any problems with them..

I ran an MSD billet distributor on a 440 and had no problems whatsoever. The one thing I really noticed was when I set my timing, the mark used to jump around a little with the old factory electronic distributor, and when I switched to the MSD it was rock solid. It ran better, started much better, looked better.

-
Back