Msd distributor cap????

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
MSD sells a replacement cap for the small block distributor.
It is the same as a stock chevy cap.
The only difference i see is that the MSD cap has brass contacts.
The stock chevy cap has metal contacts but is only $7 bucks at the store.
The msd cap is $20 bucks plus shipping from summit.

HAS ANYONE USED A STOCK REPLACEMENT CAP ON THEIR MSD DISTRIBUTOR AND IF SO, DID YOU DO THE SWITCH AT THE RACE TRACK AND SEE IF IT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE.

havent done a swap at a track but i have driven long periods with stock replacement chevy caps and rotors from standardmotors on my msd distributor,but beaware that the stock chevy type does not use hei contacts for the wires. also i feel that the msd units are of better quality and that they last longer.
on a sidenote it is possible on the caps that comes with these distributors(the ones with hei contacts) to take the centercontact out if you realy want to i just wish i could find a way to replace the centerlead piece since that is what goes out first on these caps and would save alot of money being able to replace this single piece, dont know if this has changed but i noticed it a few years ago

With high power ignitions you need to run the good stuff or a misfire will happen--not if but when.

Caps can get burnt up, wires can short out. Sometimes in hours.

Cross firing is worst yet, it can blow a hole in a piston.

This is one reason many say to run the 6 box and not the 7 or even 8 boxes. All can last on the street but the 7 and 8 boxes will eat up the spark plug metal--you need to replace plugs more often--not clean them-replace cause the metal wears away.

Weak plug wires will short out or crossfire and cheap caps can cause cross firing too.

I did and the MSD ignition seem to eat up the cheap aluminum caps pretty quick causing Oxidation on the aluminum terminals. This was a Digital 7 box though so my bad for being cheap.

You can get the gm caps with brass and hei/non hei you just have to look for it. Also if you drill a couple of vent holes in the cap you will never have a corrosion problem look at the msd web site theay sell a vented cap . I just cpied what they did problem gone.

Didn't know you could run a plain g.m. cap on my msd distributor,i've always used an msd one..i have to change the cap ever spring when i pull the car out of storage its got build-up on the terminals..

-
Back