msd distributor requires no ign. box?

-

73dodge

Reaction score
i've been looking at msd's ready to run chrysler distributor and it say's no ignition box required. i'm confused, does anyone have this setup? I checked on the website and the installation instructions show no ecu hookup. how would that work? or am i missing something?

Pretty sure that you need to at least have a chrysler Electronic Ignition. Just means you do not require the MSD ignition box to rune their distributor.

No ignition box required. It's built into the distributor, you can get them like that from Accel, Mallory and Pertronix too.

It will have 3 wires; 1 is 12 volt supply, one goes to the negative side of the coil and the other is ground.

No ignition box required. It's built into the distributor, you can get them like that from Accel, Mallory and Pertronix too.

It will have 3 wires; 1 is 12 volt supply, one goes to the negative side of the coil and the other is ground.
Does this also eliminate the ballast resistor?

gottya, similar to a GM Igntion Control Module built in.

Does this also eliminate the ballast resistor?

No! You still run power through the ballast resistor to the + side of the coil. The need for a ballast resistor is a function of the coil. If the coil does not require a ballast you don't need it whether you have points, a mopar ecu or an after market igntion.

Capacitive Discharge systems like the MSD 6, 7, etc do not require a ballast because they apply a very high voltage (>400) short duration spike to the coil. Becuase they are so short there is no danger of the coil over heating.

No! You still run power through the ballast resistor to the + side of the coil. The need for a ballast resistor is a function of the coil. If the coil does not require a ballast you don't need it whether you have points, a mopar ecu or an after market igntion.

Capacitive Discharge systems like the MSD 6, 7, etc do not require a ballast because they apply a very high voltage (>400) short duration spike to the coil. Becuase they are so short there is no danger of the coil over heating.
Thanks!!! First time I've received a definitive answer on what's required to eliminate the ballast resistor. I really want to clean up my engine compartment wiring as much as possible and this will greatly help. Thanks again.

is anybody else running this setup? how's the performance? It seems cleaner than running an ecu.

dave said it about as clear as it could be. i have installed a few in cars. so far so good. nice for tight engine bays or cleaner look.

-
Back