MSD ignition conversion Kit.... thoughts??

-

Jon P

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 72 dodge dart with 440/727 and am thinking about changing the entire ignition to the MSD with billet distributor, 6AL box, wires and blaster 2. Anyone out there done that? I've been having issues with my ignition... the car will warm up to operating temp and then die. Then it won't crank up immediately. The coil and ecu are really hot. I've replaced the coil, ecu and ballast. Thinking about getting rid of all that and spend the bucks. Whatcha'll think?

Done it all on my 408. Changed to a 6AL-2 programmable, and I'm going to put the old 6AL-2 into my Ramcharger 440. It's the only way to go.

MSD 6AL on mine with a unilite distributor - works awesome

awesome news!!! are the directions pretty good? The ECU, ballast resistor and voltage regulator go away, right? I'm having a few issues with that and the fewer wires I have, the better.

voltage regulator stays...Mallory makes good stuff too, just to keep your options open.

well, I just purchased the MSD kit. Excited.. Hopefully my issues go away.

I've seen your thread where you have had the heating up coil and ecu issues. I dont think installing an MSD is going to be a cure all. Did you see my last post in that thread?

I'm thinking you have an electrical short in ignition switch / firewall or cluster....
just hate to see you ruin a brand new set-up by not figuring out where the existing problem is first.

I've seen your thread where you have had the heating up coild and ecu issues. I dont thing installing an MSD is going to be a cure all. Did you see my last post in that thread?

I'm thinking you have an electrical short in ignition switch / firewall or cluster....
just hate to see you ruin a brand new set-up by not figuring out where the existing problem is first.

I will hopefully figure out the problem before I install the new ignition kit. I don't like wasting money either. I think its a wiring issue. Thanks

Yep I agree. BTW The MSD is a breeze to install and their directions are very clear.

-
Back