msd ignition

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
im looking into putting msd ignition into my car.. do I need to keep the ballast resister. ill be going msd on everying

No. The wires on the ballast must be jumpered together and electrically, what WAS the old coil + wire becomes same as a relay trigger wire, which hooks to the MSD "small red" trigger wire

BE CAREFUL when hooking these up and follow directions. You DO NOT want a tach or radio capacitor or ANYTHING hooked to the coil EXCEPT the two MSD box wires.

thanks you.. I was looking a some of the wire diagrams and I didn't see anything on how to jumper it all together

What year is your car, and how many terminals on the ballast? You can carefully strip out some of the wiring, just trace it back to the ECU

What it amounts to is you have TWO wires coming out of the bulkhead connector. One is hot in run, "IGN 1" or "ignition run" and the other is hot in start, or "IGN 2". This is normally brown, and it's job was to provide hot power to the coil + during cranking.

Coming off all that is wiring leading off to the voltage regulator, alternator field, supply voltage to the ECU, and some smog doo-dads depending on year of car, and sometimes electric choke.

If you carefully strip back your harness you can remove "most" of that.

The connector for the original ignition box has 5 wires.

1 and 2 Two go to the distributor connector. You can strip those back.

3...One goes up and cuts into the ballast connections that is "ignition run." to the box

4...One goes to one side of the ballast. This is reduced voltage for the box

5...One goes to coil NEG, this triggers the coil

All of the above can "come out"

Here is a simplified diagram, but leaves out a couple. The far top right leads off to the bulkhead connector "ignition run"

the lower right terminal of the ballast should have a brown wire leading off to the bulhead. That is the bypass circuit. Both those need to be spliced together with the rest. Some wiring goes off to the field, and VR

Once you strip out the ballast and box, everything else must be spliced together. Your original coil POS wire can now hook to the MSD "small red" which is like a relay trigger to power up the box. Main power for the MSD is "hot" the big red and big black (ground)

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

This is what I found when researching that question. "According to MSD(this is not me making this stuff up) the Mopar boxes are not internally regulated and need to have a total resistance (coil primary + ballast) of at least 1.5 ohms. The Blaster2 coil has .7 ohms of primary resistance and comes with a .8 ohm resister for a total of 1.5 ohms." Given that, you would remove the original ballast resistor and install the MSD .8 ohm ballast. The MSD ballast is a 2 pin.

-
Back