MSD prob

-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
Headlights flicker after installing MSD 6A on 71 demon. In fact whole system jumps from 13 to 14 volt with RPM. Any ideas why?

-Alex

Your headlights didn't do this before?
All my mopars did that.
The charging system should be putting out around 14.7 volts.
Where did you pull the power from for the MSD Box?

My headlights did flicker before but barely noticable. Now it's obvious, even the dash lights flicker. They seem to flicker at the speed of one "bright-dim" cyle per 2 rotations of the engine. Kind of like it happens on the same cylinder and stroke every time at 700-1000 RPMs. At cruise it is not noticable but the amp gauge still flickers a little.

The thick red and black wires are going directly to battery. Small red which should be the switched 12 V source I'm getting from the wire that used to go to positive coil terminal. Magnetic pickup is being used and the white wire is just taped off to the side by itself. I saw the FAQ section of the MSD site had mentioned making sure the pickup wires were run off by themselves along the frame or panels away from other cables. I'll make sure to do that tomorrow cause I think I left them running right next to everything else.

Any other ideas or things I should look for tomorrow? Thanks for the input.

BTW. The battery is getting 14 volts when measured with a voltmeter but it doesn't refresh fast enought to tell how far it's fluctuating. My analog voltmeter inside the car get's it's reading from a switched source at the fuse box.

-Alex

msd units like 14 volts or better...get down around 12 volts and you may have problems with the msd ...those sites listed above are excellent, just make sure you have a solid 14 volts to the msd when you are done. ( or real close to it )

It's time to check the bulkhead connector that feeds the interior of the car. Most likely if you haven't cleaned it or pulled it apart it's corroded real bad. And most likely a good source of a wiring harness fire. Just real common with high loads

It might be that the high energy spark of the MSD is causing interference into the charging system. Make sure regulator / field wiring is routed as close to ground as possible, and away from spark plug wires.

-
Back