MSD to 340

-

crazypurple70

Reaction score
One of the new guys making his way around the web site,been very helpful so far but have now run into my own wall. Putting new MSD distributor, 6AL box and coil in my 340, ballast resistor,do i still need or use it? Also,looking for engine wiring help in general..... :banghead: would be most grateful to anyone who could help!!!!!!!!! Jim
1970 dart swinger

Just leave it there and wire up the MSD and plug it into the distrib, set it forget it. You good to go.

I dont run a ballast. I'd go without it. Though i dont think it makes a difference from what ive read before. just one less thing up on my firewall :p. What engine wiring in general do you need help with? the MSD, or something else?

If you arfe wiring the MSD per the instructions you are hooking the small red to the + wire of the coil. This wire is just used to turn the MSD box on and off with the ignition and has no impact on the actual function of the MSD. Whether ryou have the ballast in or not makes no difference but since MSD gives you a jumper that allows you to bypass the ballast why not elimiate a potential point of failure?

NOTE: if you decide to go with out the ballast hooked up you will need to jump the two sides together. One side (with brown wire) has power when cranking and the other side has power in the run position. You will have isssues getting the engine to start or stay running if ther are not jumped.

-
Back