Msd vs Tach

-

usdart

Reaction score
OK, Goody; here's a question I know you can help with!

I have an MSD 5 with a Mopar connector. How do I wire my tach to read right?
It works right with the FBO box and the stock ECU, I would prefer the MSD if I can get it to work.

I posted on the other sites too, am waiting for some ideas!

There is a tach output terminal on the side of the MSD box. If you look at the table in the MSD instruction sheet it will tell you generically by brand if the tach will work off the terminal by being directly connected or whether you need one of the two MSD tach adapters they sell to make the tach work.

If you need an adapter it will likely be just as cost effective to pick up a tach that will work off the tach output without the adapter.

Is the MSD 5 a olddder model MSD box? If so it wont have the output as far as i know, I'm not too sure on the hookup, my best answer would to be call up MSD and ask 'em to be honest. Or you can try the coil negative still...hmmm

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Or you can try the coil negative still...hmmm

Since an MSD puts over 400 volts across the primary of the coil I would be concerned that hooking your tach to the coil would be a good way to fry it.

OK thanks for all the thoughts and advice;

I went to the MSD web site and posted a tech Q about it, they are slow, but, I guess I have to wait.

You guys know how impatient we can be when we want to do something on our wives fovorite gripe! :angry4: :goodman: At least mine anyway

i have a msd 6al and my factory tach in my duster 340 would'nt work with it, got a tach adapter from msd and it works great.

The box has a 'tap' on the other end for a tach. It works too! :headbang:

I am the "KING OF MISTAKES"! :salute:

usdart said:
The box has a 'tap' on the other end for a tach. It works too! :headbang:

I am the "KING OF MISTAKES"! :salute:

lol, glad to hear it works.

Moparts thread
Black Sheep said:
Did you try wiring to the tach terminal on the MSD?

What kind of tach are you using?

UsDart said:
I am using the old MSD 5 That has the Mopar connecter on it. No tach wire!

lol d'oh! :blackeye: :salute:

-
Back