Msd

-

Brian Hood

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

I am seeking an opinion. Any input would be helpful and appreciated.
I have an MSD box and a OE distributor for an electronic ignition. If I choose to run the MSD box, will this be an upgrade from a OE Mopar module? I've noticed a GM style HEI distributor for Mopar. It seem simple enough as it is a 1 wire hook up. Has anyone used these v. a standard Mopar ignition? With one do you like the best?

yes the msd would be an improvement over the mopar ignition and the hei ignition in my opinion

Running a MSD 6AL, Pro-Billet Dist. & a Blaster 2 coil, in my Dart. 2 freinds running the same setup in another Dart & a 74 Duster. Also another freind you has had nothing but problems with factory ignition is switching to same setup.

My honest oppinion since you already have the MSD would be to use that since it is already there, and to use your existing electronics until you can get the $100 MSD replacement pickup for the distributor that has a rev limiter built into it.

If you didn't have the MSD system already, then I would suggest on of the HEI systems I build.
www.classichei.com

Yes, the MSD would be an upgrade. It will let you lose the ballast resistor and run a better coil. You can open your plug gap more. However, read the instructions carefully, since might be true with really old MSD boxes.

Many people use the $45 ready-to-run HEI distributor on their small blocks and report good results. A few had "no spark" issues, but I think that was always a wiring problem.

-
Back