Muffler question- flowmaster vs. ?

-
Garrett, that is my list of data and actually, MagnaFlow is on the list although they are called Straightline Performance. Since they were private labeling at the time, we had no reason to test the same muffler under different names. :):)
Tom

Okay, thanks! Sorry for the assumption, I thought I had seen that chart in the past on DnoMax's site but must have been mistaken. B.T.W. I will be investing in one of your transmission books soon!

Last edited:
Here's one of the other charts that go along with that one shared.
Thank you Garrett, I sure appreciate the support!

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 3.18.24 PM.png

so what's the deal with that 101% number?

I have Magnaflow's on my Dakota R/T and I love the sound.

You can still tell it's a Magnum Mopar but just a bit nastier.

The only time I get any drone is if I'm passing another vehicle with a tuned exhaust and the resonant frequencies coincide.

One of my friends bought summit brand and says the sound like Slowmaster.Im trying something different.The 9000 series are louder

so what's the deal with that 101% number?

What’s with the 101%?

First, you’re assuming the absolute best you can flow is an open pipe, and that’s not necessarily true. It’s more complicated than that, and even open pipes can be tuned for length to improve their performance.

More likely though is that 1% is a small number, and probably within the margin of error of the testing process. Because every testing process has a margin of error.

So, I decided to switch it up from the flowmaster 40s I've currently got and went with Pypes Street Pros. I'll post up some before and after sound bites once I get them mounted up. Still gotta figure out if it'd be worth putting in an X-pipe while I'm at it.

An X-pipe makes the engine sound more 'mono', instead of Stereo with two seperate tubes.
Also, the mono-sound makes the car sound more like a modern car.

There was hardly any power gain to be measured, and if any, it would be just a tad at the higher rpms, accordingly to David Freiburger and Steve Dulcich in one of their YouTube-episodes.

I view X pipes and crossovers as being like single planes vs dual planes and tri-Y vs four into one, but without nearly as a pronounced effect, overall. One advantage is they will soften the exhaust note "just a little", and sometimes help to reduce drone slightly.

Got the new mufflers today. They look very well made. The welds are very solid, and since I can see through them, I'd imagine they outflow the 40's that are currently installed. Can't wait to get them mounted and fired up.

Picture0214191918_1.jpg

An X-pipe makes the engine sound more 'mono', instead of Stereo with two seperate tubes.
Also, the mono-sound makes the car sound more like a modern car.

There was hardly any power gain to be measured, and if any, it would be just a tad at the higher rpms, accordingly to David Freiburger and Steve Dulcich in one of their YouTube-episodes.

The ideal setup where the crossover can have a real effect is if the pipes off the header collectors are the same diameter (no reducers, as in 3" pipe hooked up to 3" header collector) and are made to specific length of about 3-4 feet (depending on engine setup) before the crossover... you can get some pretty strong secondary scavenging from that but like David Freiburger said, "the crossover is basically going to go wherever it fits in the car."

I have Pypes X-pipe system on my Duster but with Classic Chambered PowerStick mufflers, unique sound for sure but I think I would prefer an H-pipe. It's like you describe, sounds more "mono" and smoothed out a bit more like a modern car at cruise and WOT. Those mufflers are pretty dang loud though you definitely still know it's an old-school Mopar V-8.

Finally had a chance to mount up the Pypes Street Pro Mufflers. They are very good quality. The sound at idle is actually very similar to Flowmaster 40's in my opinion. They do have a more straight through design though. Once mounted, my idle RPM increased enough to have to re-adjust. I guess that shows how much of a restriction the Flowmasters were? I also decided to keep the sides separate because I'm partial to the choppier idle.

I'm liking the sound for a street cruiser. When cruising, the patented low frequency Flowmaster drone has been eliminated. It's a lot easier to carry on a conversation at cruising speed. WOT sounds really good as well. With a lifetime warranty, I'd definitely recommend these to anyone looking for a good Flowmaster alternative.

Here's a brief video of the difference. I apologize for the poor sound quality, but the camera used is all I had.

I like 'um. Much better than the 40's. In my opinion, it sounds deeper, less tinnier than with the 40's.

Yup it no longer sounds like it's inside a sewer pipe, has a sharper "bark" to it and way less tinny

-
Back