Muffler recommendations 1965 barracuda 273 original exhaust manifolds.

-

Ron Grubb

Reaction score
Upgrading to dual exhaust rear exit on tail pipes.Looking for low mellow tone. Had flowmasters on a small block Charger one time they were to loud. Looking to keep 2 inch diameter pipes. This engine is pure stock 2 barrel. Thanks for any help.

Upgrading to dual exhaust rear exit on tail pipes.Looking for low mellow tone. Had flowmasters on a small block Charger one time they were to loud. Looking to keep 2 inch diameter pipes. This engine is pure stock 2 barrel. Thanks for any help.
Add a 65 4bbl exhaust syste. You will be satisfied.

Dynomax superturbo would give you what you want. And as @65dartcharger says a factory hi-po single exhaust would also sound good and perform just as well in your 2 barrel car. You wouldn’t have to modify the transmission cross member too.

‘’check out accurate exhaust and look for Formula S exhaust. may not be cheap though.

‘’if you do duals modify the trans crossmember to get the pipe up nice and high.

I just had 2 1/4 dual exhaust installed in my car yesterday. 65 Dart, stock 273 10.5:1 motor, with stock manifolds.

I used these: AP Exhaust XS1225 AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers | Summit Racing

Dumped at the rear axle. It has a nice rumble and deep tone. Sounds quieter and different than I expected, but primarily because I’m probably conditioned to flowmasters or glasspacks. Not enough seat time to know how much it’ll drone.

Not the best sound quality, but here’s a video:

Dynomax super turbo or ultra flow if you want a little more. With 2" pipes I doubt either would be obnoxious.

I wouldn't ordinarily recommend glass pack mufflers, but I put a set of Cherry Bombs on my 56 Plymouth with a stock 277 poly with four barrel carb and dual 2" exhaust. I was afraid it might be obnoxiously loud, but it's not. Just a deeper, healthier tone, but a lot quieter than the Sonic Turbos on my more powerful stuff. It does have that glass pack crackle when you rev it up and then let off the gas. Any old fart reading this will know what I'm talking about. I think it sounds cool.

It's your car, but it's been proven many times that small cube engines, as well as inline engines benefit more from a good, free flowing single exhaust. I would do something like a 2" wye into a single 3" mandrel bent pipe to the bumper with something like one of the Dynomax Ultra Flow welded mufflers. You can look at the data on their web site and see some of those actually outflow an open pipe. Don't ask me how, it's alien technology. I used one on Vixen and I slam believe it.

-
Back