Mufflers for the 5.7L

-

Stacked360

Reaction score
Does anyone have any opinions on muffler selection they used on their 5.7 swap into their A-Body? I'm leaning towards Magnaflow, but only because Flowmaster and Cherry Bombs are a bit loud and droning for cruising imo.

Videos and soundbites a plus!:thumbup:

Thanks in advance.

I've really liked my "turbo tubes". They're similar to a glasspack, but don't use packing material, so they keep their sound. Just got them from the local muffler shop. They look just like glasspacks, but I think they're a chambered designed similar to old sidepipe style exhaust. They're on the more mellow side, pretty tame at idle with just a little rumble and have some roar to them when you stand on it. My parents say they sound really good following behind me, but I've never heard it going down the road from behind. It's pretty nice in the cabin, no real drone and not all that loud (that's what the cutouts are for, lol). The video isn't very good because it's a cell phone, but they have a nice unique sound to them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70nPIdqmIM"]Exhaust walkaround - YouTube[/ame]

I had some dynomax on mine, but they were just too quiet, so I put on some 40 series flowmasters, what a difference. No droan inside, quiet when cruisin' and will wake the dead when I get on it, imo, perfect.

I had some dynomax on mine, but they were just too quiet, so I put on some 40 series flowmasters, what a difference. No droan inside, quiet when cruisin' and will wake the dead when I get on it, imo, perfect.

My buddy has the "American Thunder" system from Flowmaster on his 10' Challenger R/T, and I love =P~ the sound of it. I was a bit concerned that the cats would make a big difference on volume and tone though...and my car has no cats. :-k Any opinions?

Modern Cats don't restrict flow the way early ones did, so I think if you mimic your buddies R/T you'll be pretty happy. Just make sure the pipes go all the way to the back, sound bouncing around under the car makes it a lot louder in the car.

Couple of Caveats:

I bought a used Suburban with a Cat back flowmaster setup. I kind of liked the sound cruising around town, it was throaty, deep. Wife HATED it, at the time she drove it the most, and even though we don't drive much (7K a year each) she found the drone very annoying. Plus, she didn't think it was funny that it would occasionally set off car alarms, I did. Eventually, I pulled the flowmaster and put a much larger muffler on, a lot quieter, wife a lot happier.

The only time I grew to hate the flowmaster was on long trips. With the cruise control set at 70, the drone of the exhaust got to me too. Normally, I'd just turn up the radio, but the wife hates loud music too. She's a good sport about a lot of stuff, he%$ she married me, but doesn't like loud noises.

If your cruise spot is less than 20 minutes away, the flowmaster will probably be cool, if it is an hour at highway speeds, the drone may get to you.

Here's a tip, borrow your buddies R/T and take a weekend road trip to someplace a couple of hours drive away. Then, you'll KNOW if you really like it, or if it will annoy you.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Belive it or not my preferred exhaust is currently on my ram. Having been modding modern hem's since 03 I have listened to a ton of mufflers, and my choice is to use one resonator and delete the muffler and the rear resonator. The 03-05 rams only came with the rear the 06-08 came with two. I'm sure you can find someone that would give away a stock set after they swapped out the exhaust off a truck. It's got a bit of a growl when you get on it, but you can easily carry on a conversation at part throttle. At idle it's got a bit of a rumble and you can tell there is something diffrent but it's mellow. Then add in a set of electric cutouts at the header collector and go really loud when you want to.

I think cats sill still make some difference, though probably less than they used to. My parents had an 05 Ram I pulled the muffler and resonator off of once and it was definitely quieter than I expected, though when you got on it it was still pretty dang loud.

It's always hard to tell how exhaust will react on different cars, pipe sizes and lengths make a big difference. One of the guys at my work was talking to Flowmaster or someone a while back and they were telling him how the length of pipe after the muffler (to the tailpipe) makes a big difference in killing drone and changing tone. You can tune your sound by just changing that and not touching the muffler.

I'm running Borla with full 3" TTi headers and X pipe exhaust.

[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=88a95a76.mp4]
th_88a95a76.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/?action=view&current=27f46585.mp4]
th_27f46585.jpg
[/ame]

Sounds real good , wonder what they would sound like on a stock motor .
Do you have a P/N for those Borla's .
Hooker Aero Chamber's make a good noise IMO .

I have no opinion so far in the car since I haven't gotten there yet. I do however have a magnaflow on my Ram and love the sound. I did add a resonator in the stock location after the muffler since the highway drone was annoying.

I think I am going to attempt a set of Summit racing brand glass packs when I get to that point. at $20 a pop if I don't love it I can change easily and keep em for another project.

-
Back