Mufflers with X pipe

-

whitey

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Flowmaster 40 Delta mufflers with an X-pipe? Dynomax Super turbos? And what kind of sound do you get?
I know DCG333 has an x-pipe with 50 Delta Flowmasters, and is pretty pleased with it (if I remember correctly).

well you're talkin 2 totally different sounds...ones chambered and ones turbo...

i've got the dynomax super turbos w/ 2 1/2 pipe w/ x-pipe using stock manifolds. the sound is very nice

I have Flowmaster 40's and a Headman Hedder X-pipe. I have 2 1/2 exhaust, 340 up front! I think there is no better sound you can get with anything else!! In other words, I LOVE IT!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

i have 3" pipe with an x-pipe and dynomax super turbos.. sounds great and performs awesome..

cant realy tell about the sound with a X pipe but the 3" flowmaster 40series delta flow are louder than hell without the X pipe i love the sound outside the car, but inside the car its a nightmare.....

I'm looking for a nice growl when sitting at idle, nice powerful sound outside but not overpowering when driving, but head snapping at WOT.
Which one, 40 delta, 50 delta or super turbo? One of the guys in y club mentioned that the 40's with the x pipe on his early a body gave a loud high pitched sound. He compared it to a Nascar car on the straightaway at Talladega.

I really like the hooker areochamber,the muffler guy said they were between a glasspack and a turbo and he was right.At idle they give you a deep,raspy rumble,at cruise they are fairly mellow like a turbo and at wide open they still are real close to a turbo.Its like having the best of both worlds for me because Im not real fond of the higher pitched mufflers.

I love the sound of Flowmasters. Ihave run a few different ones, Original 2 chambers 40 series, 3 chambered 50 series and the 40 series DeltaFlow 2 chambers. The Deltaflows have a deeper tone then the original flows and dont drone as much. I havent decided what will be going on the Scamp yet but it will be 3" with an X pipe, full tail pipes and stock tips.

Check out Magnaflows. I got them on my stroker and they have a nice throaty sound and not to bad going down the road either, When you nail it, they come alive.

I forgot until Adam mentioned it,the deltaflows are a deeper sounding muffler.My friend and I had nearly identical engines and exhaust systems and his deltas sounded really close to my aerochambers,bassy rough idle but smoother in the rrrs.

what are the diff. between glasspacks and turbo with a X pipe

at idle
cruising
and ful throttle

thanks

turbo..deepish idle (but quieter)...cruisin' not too bad, kinda nice rumble...full throttle most authorative..

glasspack..loud muscular ilde..cruisin' loud..open throttle..NASCAR!!!
The x-pipe mixes teh gasses so will calm it down....but here'show the loudness scale goes

straight pipe
glasspack
straight thru muffler(like aeroturbines)
chambered muffler
turbo muffler
oem

NOTE ALL WILL CALM DOWN DRAMATICALLYT WHEN PLACING RESONATORS B4 THE TIP...

ok this is how it goes...the resonator is gonna help kill the drone sound..the further back you put a resonator..the better...go to a hemi ram forum or www.chargerforums.com and find someone who scrapped theres...gettim' cheap..i've never heard of someone put'm on old school..but i know i run straight pipe with a reso..sound great, and no resonance..plus it quites it down...i don't mind sellin' you my reso when i get it off if wanna go that route..just gotta find another one..my personally opinon on old school..i would go with a turbo muffler if you want a rumpity rump but it to be quiet...
but YES...BY THEORY..reso's in the back will basically get rid of drone...and tone'r down a bit...things is..reos have been known to kill sound...so i would do straight pipe or glasspacks with resos....but again..this is teh case on newer vehicles..not sure about old school...come to me in 4 years and i'll be able to tell ya..becomin' a mechanic and openin' a shop..gotta get through schoool first though.any more questions hollar at me..and btw..my friend has a 4.7l ram..i have a hemi..i did the straight pipe with resos...one after cats one b4 tip...stock set-up w/o the suitcase muffler..he got dual exhaust ravins.(i picke dout his exchaust bc i'm teh exhaust guru around)...wanted them bc they're more muscular less raspy then flows...man his is meaner than mine..has a great sound..you can hear him 2-3 blocks away when he's rollin at 10-20mph...if you wnat advise on certain mufflers i'll fill ya in from hemi ram/chatrger knowledgde..i'll help the bets i can

well i kinda want loud like when you think of a muscle car i want that kinda loud not queit like my dodge stratus but loud like a 68 road runner with a 383 and 12 in glasspacks maybe not as loud but thats an idea

o and a header question

WHAT IS THE EASIEST HEADER TO PUT IN A 318 WITH POWERSTEERING AND DISC BRAKES

TTI
HOOKER COMPS
HOOKER SUPER COMPS
THANKS

TTI....
so if you want loud...if you don't mind drone...go flows like everyone else..i would go raven bc i think they have more ballz..or be different and "try" a raptor, never heard those b4 but have seen'm...or go with dynomax ultraflows....

if you do decide on glasspacks remember...the shorter the glasspack, the higher the pitch and teh louder...the longer the pack, the deeper and more mellow...if i was able to put any exhaust on my demon, i'd do glasspacks..but it's my sis' so i'm doin teh cheap thrush turbos, give me a week and a half and i'll let ya know how they sound..and they'll only be a 2" set-up

i run headers into a x pipe i made, into 40 delta flowmasters into TTI tailpipes on my 75 duster 340 and im very pleased with the sound. Lets not forget the flowmasters are designed to improve exhaust scavenging, so they can also help your performance/hp compared to a cheap muffler or glass pack

the faster you can get that exhaust out, more HP

When I first put the Barracuda back on the road it had a \6 with 6 into 2 headers. I had a complete 2.25" dual exhaust system bent up for it with 18" long glass paks. At idle and cruise speeds less than 2500 rpm it sounded great. As the rpm increase so dit the interior resonance. At hiway speeds it was bad making any drive of more than an hour a chore. At WOT it just plan sound bad, like a car with a rotted out exhaust. I installed an H-pipe cross over right at the end of the tranny and it completely changed the sound of the car. It was still deep and powerful at idle and cruise to 2500 rpm but not as loud. At hi-way speeds the interior resonance is greatly reduced and WOT throttle the sound was very unique and pleasant, got many compliments.

When I swapped in the 360 year before last I hooked up this existing exhaust to the 360 headers. The sound was deep and powerful still but was all together to loud and the resonance at cruising and hiway speeds was again bad enough to make drives of more than an hour uncomfortable.

I had a new exhaust bent up with 2.5" pipe and X-pipe and 50 series Delta Flow mufflers. Sounds great at idle and cruising speeds. There is very little resonance at hiway speeds and WOT produces a powerful roar. I am very happy with the results.

Sanguine said:
i run headers into a x pipe i made, into 40 delta flowmasters into TTI tailpipes on my 75 duster 340 and im very pleased with the sound. Lets not forget the flowmasters are designed to improve exhaust scavenging, so they can also help your performance/hp compared to a cheap muffler or glass pack

the faster you can get that exhaust out, more HP

actually how much tehy wanna say they fow the best..there have been test showin' that a lot of the cheaper mufflers out flow and outperform flows....the only reason flows are so expensive is bc of the name...I'm sure if teh little known force or raptor mufflers were used more often and talked abut, to where they're used like flows, there price would go up as well...i think flows are like the top 10 american idol contestants...there are plenty of people 10x better and sound 10x better then all those contestants, but bc of teh popularity, ain't gonna stand up and say there set-up is better.. lol ;-)...it's all personal preference...and i'd get teh $30 knock of(force)..before i woudl flows..i hate flows....

Wilnutt said:
actually how much tehy wanna say they fow the best..there have been test showin' that a lot of the cheaper mufflers out flow and outperform flows....the only reason flows are so expensive is bc of the name...I'm sure if teh little known force or raptor mufflers were used more often and talked abut, to where they're used like flows, there price would go up as well...i think flows are like the top 10 american idol contestants...there are plenty of people 10x better and sound 10x better then all those contestants, but bc of teh popularity, ain't gonna stand up and say there set-up is better.. lol ;-)...it's all personal preference...and i'd get teh $30 knock of(force)..before i woudl flows..i hate flows....

All pure "flow" testing done on mufflers is flawed. These tests are done by pumping a constant flow of air through them to give them a rating. Problem is an automotive engine does not produce a constant flow of gas, it's a series of pluses of which the frequency varies with rpm. So reflected pluse waves and scavenging become much more of a concern than flow.

There have been very many technical articles written on how to design a zero loss exhaust system, that is, one where the engine makes the same power with or with out an exhaust attached to the headers. And, they all say it's easier to do with a chambered muffler like a Flowmaster than it is with an absorbing design like a Magnaflow. A properly designed exhaust with a chambered muffler will look to the engine like there is no exhaust from the muffler back. Where an absorbing muffler the engine sees every thing back to the tailpipe outlet, this is why it's tougher (not impossible) to design a zero loss exahust.

They also say that virtually all performance mufflers have constant flow rates far in excess of what engines need. Since the vast majority of us do not have the resources to start designing, testing and building a zero loss exahust and from a flow standpoint it makes no difference what brand we use the recomendation is to pick an muffler that produces a sound you like.

how many chamebers are the flows you guys are using 3,2,?

and where can i get sound clips of flows with a 318

I have 50 series delta flows on my Barracuda. They are a 3 chamber. I have a 50 series SUV muffler on my truck. Same length and width as the 50 series on my car but it's almost twice as thick. On the truck it's almost as quite as stock.

Flowmaster has sound clips on there web page. They will give you small block and big block clips but now 318 specific clips.

-
Back