Multi Question Thread

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Have a few multiple questions

First on my 71' Duster the vent for the tank is in the gas cap as I dont have the strange tube in the trunk, someone removed it. Last time it got hot it blew fuel vapour out the cap, which melted the paint on the backside of it and ran down the car. Not fun to clean off. How are these tanks supposed to be vented?

Next up fuel stains on the manifold. Its a demon carb and I clear coated the intake but still have some fuel stains. Just the nature of the beast?

Last question. Was out at a local cruise and seen a few guys running carb heat shields. Do they work at all?

The last 2 questions .........

It seems so. Holley/Demon, etc.... all seem to have a slight leak through the shafts or base plate. Heat will also discolor the intake.

Heat sheilds work.

Yeah it puked soem fuel around the throttle shaft and made a nice dark brown stain on the intake as it cooked off that wont clean up. Maybe one day I'll be smart and have the intake powder coated.

Might try a carb heatshield those bowls sure get hot after awhile.

That strange tube that someone removed is the vent. Earlier cars used a separate vent line that ran in to the the filler tube. Does your car have the original tank with the 4 vent lines coming off of the driverside ?

It has a repro fuel tank in it. When I got the car I screwed a plate over the hole left in the trunk for the tube. Where would the tube vent to?

On the tank itself it does have one more tube on the top for a vent thats just capped off don't think it had 4.

Im not sure how that vent works, Theres 4 hoses that go front the tank to the tube. The tube is sealed though so its not venting at the top ?

That little tube that someone removed is your vent, as Adam stated. On my car it ties into the filler tube just inside the gas cap, and runs along side the filler tube, through the trunk floor and vents into the atmosphere.

Hope this helps.

Kenny

-
Back