multiple questions

-

rgp266

Reaction score
1) Bucket seats.....is the metal trim, meaning the seat backs and the trim along the bottom of the seats. the same between a '65 Dart and a '65 Barracuda?
2) Are the foam "buns" the same?
3) Regarding the center console.....does any one have the blueprint placement of the support brackets? If not would any one that has a '65 Barracuda interior apart take those measurements (maybe a picture or two) and pass them along?
4) '65 and '66 Barracuda dash boards.....are they the same for these two years?

Many Thanks.....
Bob

Call this guy, Doug 702-274-7642 He has a all mopar yard and has a 65 Barracuda that he is parting.You might find your info there.

(2) Don't know about originally, but the upholstery companies sell the same buns for the cars.

(4) Went back & re-read your question. I must've had a brain fart the first time! :shaking:

If the two ('65 & '66) dashes are completely different will the entire '66 dash, meaning sheet metal and all, bolt in place of a '65 dash?
Bob

If the two ('65 & '66) dashes are completely different will the entire '66 dash, meaning sheet metal and all, bolt in place of a '65 dash?
Bob
The main big difference is the gauge cluster opening. The actual steel structure is the same. A '66 dash will bolt right in to your '65. Here is a picture of my '66 dash. It's the same as yours except for the opening.

Attachments

• cuda dash sm.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 214
Bob
Yes, but you'll need to modify the wiring harness.

ide be wiling to bet the seat chrome is the same,,,if u have pics of the dart chrome post them,,

the seat foam,,,, i have seen this stuff reproduced,,,,when i asked about it,,they said you wil need to trim it for a final fit,,,legendary,,

as stated the metal dash will interchange to a 65 from a 66 several on this board have done it,, if using the stock 66 gauges,,,im sure you will have to get a 66 dash wiring harness,,,, if going after market gauges you wil make your own wiring not hard,,,

No pictures of the dart Chrome yet, Don.
CudaMark and 4sp.....that is the information I was looking for. I have an opportunity to buy the whole set-up to do the dash conversion. I will be using aftermarket gauges except for the Speedometer.
One more question regarding the seats......what additional floor bracing is present at the seat pedistal inner stud holes? Is it on the interior side or external?
I saw something recently that stated '65 and earlier bucket seats (A Body specific? Not sure) are 2" wider than '66 and up seats. True or False?
Thanks....
Bob

ide be wiling to bet the seat chrome is the same,,,if u have pics of the dart chrome post them,,

the seat foam,,,, i have seen this stuff reproduced,,,,when i asked about it,,they said you wil need to trim it for a final fit,,,legendary,,

as stated the metal dash will interchange to a 65 from a 66 several on this board have done it,, if using the stock 66 gauges,,,im sure you will have to get a 66 dash wiring harness,,,, if going after market gauges you wil make your own wiring not hard,,,
The problem with using the '66 dash harness is that the engine/forward harnesses are different too. You'll have to splice somewhere no matter how you look at it. If you use the '66 dash harness and fit it into the '65 bulkhead connector, that would probably be the cleanest job but there are still some wires that are different.

No pictures of the dart Chrome yet, Don.
CudaMark and 4sp.....that is the information I was looking for. I have an opportunity to buy the whole set-up to do the dash conversion. I will be using aftermarket gauges except for the Speedometer.
One more question regarding the seats......what additional floor bracing is present at the seat pedistal inner stud holes? Is it on the interior side or external?
I saw something recently that stated '65 and earlier bucket seats (A Body specific? Not sure) are 2" wider than '66 and up seats. True or False?
Thanks....
Bob
True, the '65 and older seats are about 2" wider than the '66 seats due to the wider console in '66. The inner reinforcement plate for the seat track is welded to the floor on the inside of the car....the outer ones (actually a bracket) is on the outside.

True, the '65 and older seats are about 2" wider than the '66 seats due to the wider console in '66. The inner reinforcement plate for the seat track is welded to the floor on the inside of the car....the outer ones (actually a bracket) is on the outside.
Like this.

Attachments

• lh floor primed sm.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 174
  • rh primed floor sm.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 180
Cudamark and 4spdcuda......thanks, especially for posting the floor pan picture!
Bob

attempting to post pictures........

Attachments

• 000_0187.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 000_0188.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 000_0189.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 152
I have found that the seats are actually '66 Barracuda units. No big deal exccept that it has also been pointed out that '66 was the only year for the hard shell backs and side trim.
Found that the chrome strip can be removed by using a thin blade Gasket Scraper/Putty Knife and a hammer with a light weight head. Slip the blade of the scraper/knife between the trim and the shell and tap lightly with the hammer, moving back and forth along the length of the trim. It worked off nicely without distorting the trim. The chrome strip cleaned up nicely. A couple of minor dings in the shells got worked out nicely with a hammer and dolly.
Bob

I have the same issue. I am putting 66 buckets in my 63. Do you know if the outer bucket seat brackets mount in the same holes as the bench and the inner holes moved in the 2 inches or are both sets of holes different between the 63 bench and the 66 bucket outher brackets?

Thanks,
Mike

No Mike I don't know just how the bolt holes in the floor pan measure. Mine also has a set of unknown bucket seats in them. It appears like the installer used the original bench seat stud holes and drilled the floor pan for the inners.
You may not recall me but when I lived in Chandler, Az I bought a yellow '66 Belvedere from you. This would have beenn roughly 12-13 years ago. At the time IIRC you were at the East Mesa/Apache Junction border area. I still have the car.
Bob

I have the same issue. I am putting 66 buckets in my 63. Do you know if the outer bucket seat brackets mount in the same holes as the bench and the inner holes moved in the 2 inches or are both sets of holes different between the 63 bench and the 66 bucket outher brackets?

Thanks,
Mike
No, the outer holes for a '66 bucket seat is about 4" inboard of a '65 bucket seat. A '66 floor pan has both sets of outer holes. The '66 bench seat uses the outer ones which looks to be the same as the '65 buckets. If you're putting '66 buckets into a '65 and earlier bench car, it looks like you'll have to drill 4 new holes.

Cudamark.....I spent some more quality time under my '65 today. One of the things that has always baffled me about my car was that the outer seat stud holes were right smack over the sub-frame connectors. Makes getting the seats in and out a total pain in the ***. I noticed there are blanks in the body braces that run inboard from the Rocker Panels that are the same spacing as the outer seat studs. These are a good 3.5 inches outboard of the current holes. Would these be what I am looking for?
All this because my seats are biased towards the transmission hump at least 2 inches. Go ahead, call me anal........
Bob

-
Back