Muscle Car TV....360 build

-
I don't understand why everyone is so wound up about this show. They were quite clear that they were doing a budget build that was close to stock. They also were quite clear that in a couple of weeks that they would be tearing it apart and build it for power. They recently did they same thing with a 460 Ford and a 454 Chevy, build it close to stock then go crazy.

The 350 Chevy they use as dyno mule was initially built the same way as the 360 and made less than 300 HP.

I was quite impressed with the torque curve of the 360 and it was about perfect for a cruiser. And at 314 HP that was more than the 340 4bbl came from th factory with.

400 h.p. from that weak combo and lame cam..NO WAY!!!

I have virtually the same combo in a 340, and it makes 375hp or so. Did I mention a compression ratio? No? then it would be really hard for anyone to say if it would, or would not, make 400hp.

I don't understand why everyone is so wound up about this show. They were quite clear that they were doing a budget build that was close to stock. They also were quite clear that in a couple of weeks that they would be tearing it apart and build it for power. They recently did they same thing with a 460 Ford and a 454 Chevy, build it close to stock then go crazy.

The 350 Chevy they use as dyno mule was initially built the same way as the 360 and made less than 300 HP.

I was quite impressed with the torque curve of the 360 and it was about perfect for a cruiser. And at 314 HP that was more than the 340 4bbl came from th factory with.

We get spun up because Hot Rod shows and mags have a history of slighting the Mopar crowd and doing a real crappy job of building demonstrator engines. In one instance, one magazine declined to build a Mopar small block using the claim that it would not finish under the budget cap. We got a real shot in the arm when MP put out the 360cid/380hp crate engine, which basically stuffed the Chevy and Ford small blocks by not only beating the hp they advertised, but by beating the MP advertised hp, hitting the 400hp mark out of the box.

Max340, if I knew my machine shop was going to use a torch on the rods....
not acceptable to me.

P.S. Someone mentioned the 340's HP rating....275hp....that was at 5000 rpm....what did it make at 5800???

We get spun up because Hot Rod shows and mags have a history of slighting the Mopar crowd and doing a real crappy job of building demonstrator engines. In one instance, one magazine declined to build a Mopar small block using the claim that it would not finish under the budget cap. We got a real shot in the arm when MP put out the 360cid/380hp crate engine, which basically stuffed the Chevy and Ford small blocks by not only beating the hp they advertised, but by beating the MP advertised hp, hitting the 400hp mark out of the box.

Exactly about the slighting, Max. Seems that some of the mags and TV shows still have it in their heads that Mopars are the bottom of the pile, even after proof given them like you stated. Anyone remember Hot Rod's write up ages ago when they handed the Big Three's crate motors to drag racers, asked them to put it in a car and take it racing? Dick Landy stuck his in a Duster, the Ford guy showed up with a 351 crate motor in a stripped out Fox body Mustang, and the Chevy guy brought a knife to a gun fight? Hot Rod was convinced the Duster, even with Dick Landy handling the tuning chores and running the car, would be the last quickest car. Anyone remember the results? The Duster spanked the Mustang. Even when the Brand X mags do their own testing and are amazed the Mopar comes out on top they still feel the need to overlook Mopar in any future testing. The perpetual underdog.

Another engine for you, Rob, with the rockers shafts: I forgot the pushrod Ford 4.0L. It's basically a baby FE.

Hey guys, just a heads up, next week on Muscle car TV they will be doing a 360 build. They ussually Dyno the engines after the builds, so it will be neat to see them do a dodge for once. The one host said he doesn't think he has ever done a 360. I have been watching a long time, and all I see them do is oval, and bow tie junk.

Cool to see a mopar for once.

Keep your eyes peeled next week on Sat

Phil

I like 360's. Especially the later Magnums like I have in my Dakota R/T. What a great engine. 105,000 miles and runs the same as new. Still gets 16mpg. one day when it gets tired I will rebuild it and hop it up.

Also being a Ford guy, I will tell you they and most tv shows know about as much about Ford Engines as they do Mopars. If it's not for a Chevy, it goes in the "universal" bin, i.e. Ford and Mopar. Bottom line, Ford and Chrysler had better engineers, so you need better brains to work on them.

Yeah, that was the impression I received. I thought in subsequent shows they were going to start going more radical and see how much the could build into the engine. Maybe I'm wrong.

380 torque for under $2500 ain't too bad though. Not trying to defend those two buffoons, I'm just saying...

No credit to them; it's pretty hard to screw up a 360!

I have virtually the same combo in a 340, and it makes 375hp or so. Did I mention a compression ratio? No? then it would be really hard for anyone to say if it would, or would not, make 400hp.

Really well i HAVE a 360 with 400hp. so i KNOW what it takes..that combo is NOT even close...

Really well i HAVE a 360 with 400hp. so i KNOW what it takes..that combo is NOT even close...
I don't remeber them giving the TQ numbers after the kid played with the timing just the hp number @ 314 ..did I miss that?
Not a bad hp number for the combo it is, they didn't totaly Bolo the build IMO but a better intake would have brought the TQ up a few ..interesting to see what they do with the Performance build ...hopfuly they dont dump in a roller cam and make less hp like the 440 build~

Max340, if I knew my machine shop was going to use a torch on the rods....
not acceptable to me.

P.S. Someone mentioned the 340's HP rating....275hp....that was at 5000 rpm....what did it make at 5800???

Without being able to control temp, the torch is obviously a second choice, and I would never approve "cherry red", since expansion, not welding is the idea.

Ok,

1) 1.1hp per cube isn't exactly hard, let alone rocket science.

2) MP sold a crate motor which one of the generic car magazines tested, and found it made 400+ hp, with cast iron heads.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...667em_mopar_318_engine/induction_systems.html

Popular Hot Rodding made 400hp with a mild cam and smog 360 heads....

on a 318.

Maybe you want to check your combo for missing Hp.

Ok,

1) 1.1hp per cube isn't exactly hard, let alone rocket science.

2) MP sold a crate motor which one of the generic car magazines tested, and found it made 400+ hp, with cast iron heads.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/en...667em_mopar_318_engine/induction_systems.html

Popular Hot Rodding made 400hp with a mild cam and smog 360 heads....

on a 318.

Maybe you want to check your combo for missing Hp.

My combos not missing anything..and don't believe what you read in those rags they print that crap so people buy them...

My combos not missing anything..and don't believe what you read in those rags they print that crap so people buy them...

If you are having a hard time getting 400hp from a Mopar 360, while two magazines and a factory engine builder find 380-400hp from 318 AND 360 cid, and while all the Chevy guys get 400HP from a 350 small block, I'm guessing something isn't quite right.

If the Chevy guys are beating you with ten less cubes, you have a problem.

-
Back