Muscle Car TV....360 build

-
They stated it was a stock rebuild.

Yeah, that was the impression I received. I thought in subsequent shows they were going to start going more radical and see how much the could build into the engine. Maybe I'm wrong.

380 torque for under $2500 ain't too bad though. Not trying to defend those two buffoons, I'm just saying...

I saw some of it.

cast piston 360
1.88 J heads
218/228 448 lift summit cam cut on a 114 LSA - that will help...
Stealth intake
POS 600cfm from feed carb. Looked like a summit carb

Made 314hp/380tq

IIRC, both the ford/chevy had forged pistons in it and used a holley carb.

They also said that the heads used up to 72 had 2.02 valves and after had 1.88... ummmm yeah OK!

To call them retarded is an insult to people afflicted with that condition.

lmao......

I saw the build and it was pretty lame. Stock heads, stock type dish pistons, stock crank, stock rods, crappy carb and a Summit cam.

By the way, heating the small ends is acceptable in a heating fixture if the temp is controlled. Using a hand held oxy acetylene torch and going "cherry red" is a no-no in a HP engine as the temper will be changed. Most every HP rod I've ever seen is the floating pin style anyway.

Whats wrong with weiand stealth intakes? would like to know since I have never had any experience with them but have been considering getting one for my 360.

I would also like to know why it is a "crappy" intake. I have one and plan on using one too.

They also said that the heads used up to 72 had 2.02 valves and after had 1.88... ummmm yeah OK!

To call them retarded is an insult to people afflicted with that condition.
Up to 1971, the 340/360 heads sis use 2.02 valves. Would you like a picture? I have a set.
I agree with the second sentence.

Yup,I watched it. 360 had stock pistons,rods ,1.88 heads. Small 1.5 inch headers and a small cam about .440 lift. Weiand hi rise intake. 314 h.p and almost 390 lb/ft torque. Very flat torque curve and nice steady h.p curve,lots of area under the curves. Nice simple stock motor that idled stock.

About what I expected. They took a stock motor,cammed it and put a crappy intake on it.
1.5 tube? Humm, I never ever seen a 1.5 tube header for a Mopar. I swear it was a hooker comp. header they spoke of which would be 1.5/8
The Stealth is a good, er, very good intake. Must be used properly.
locomotion, a member here use's that intake on his multi year (5 time IIRC) champion chip winning race Duster. He experiments with intakes and found that Stealth to be excellent with HIS combo.

I forgot about the 1 1/2" headers with 2.5" collector... they helped.

BUT, a 1 5/8 with 3" collector would have been better.
That's what I thought they said. Hummm, now I'm gonna have to go back and watch the recording. (Damn it!)

They stated it was a stock rebuild. Especially with a pathetic 600cfm carb. And the fact that oiling thru the rocker shafts confused them.
Not a fan of the Holley 2 part carb though summit racing redesigned it. How well it'll work over a good 4150 dialed in is another story. Given a good 4150!

Ok. Don't shoot me, But what would have been a good build for a 360 and why. The parts needed and the mods to those parts. Curious here.

WHOA! Letting the dogs out on that one now aint we? Lets set up some parameters and have at it or well have a list of **** a mile long. LOL!
Block - stock minus overbore
Heads - OE 360 small valve
Cam - builder choice
intake - builder choice
Carb- builder choice
Ignition- builder choice
oil pan - oe
Cam drive -oe
Valve train -oe
Fuel- 93 stock fuel delivery. They just use a block off plate for the dyno.
pistons- builder choice
rods -oe
etc
etc

Consider this the parameters for the build to follow suite of the TV shows budhet build.

Yeah, that was the impression I received. I thought in subsequent shows they were going to start going more radical and see how much the could build into the engine. Maybe I'm wrong.

380 torque for under $2500 ain't too bad though. Not trying to defend those two buffoons, I'm just saying...

I did here them say something about a performance build up for later. This was in my eyes, a easy to see Budget build as if your engine is in good shape, look what bolt on parts can do.

I think it was a good bang for the buck, I'll take a different carb though.

I saw the build and it was pretty lame. Stock heads, stock type dish pistons, stock crank, stock rods, crappy carb and a Summit cam.

Most every HP rod I've ever seen is the floating pin style anyway.

I think that was the purpose of the build. Stock set up and on the cheap. Pressed or floating in a build like this is small peanuts, even the dust would be a bigger deal.
(Again) As if the short block is in good shape. They can still be found running and driving everyday everywhere, so, I think the build up showed an honest approach to what could be done easy.

At 327 HP (Max I heard... I think) and 380 lbs. torque, it's not gonna put anybody on notice that you have arrived, but this is a really nice everyday driver quality build parts list. This could go in any A body car, have the abilty to go anywhere at any time while doing well on fuel consumption.

If your pockets became a little deeper and moved away from the engines power seeking abilty's, A 4spd auto and 4.30, the final drive ratio would feel like a 2.967.

The cam is mello enuff for a stock converter. This is everyday driver material that can and will mid 14's or better in a Duster.

I think everybody under estimates the good intensions and what a good and possible thing this build showed.

OH, of course they are dumbfounded by the oiling system, there a Ford and Chevy gy team.

POP quiz, who else use's a system like ours?
Rockers on a shaft?

This is such a great question, I'm starting a new thread on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWhip
Ok. Don't shoot me, But what would have been a good build for a 360 and why. The parts needed and the mods to those parts. Curious here.

WHOA! Letting the dogs out on that one now aint we? Lets set up some parameters and have at it or well have a list of **** a mile long. LOL!
Block - stock minus overbore
Heads - OE 360 small valve
Cam - builder choice
intake - builder choice
Carb- builder choice
Ignition- builder choice
oil pan - oe
Cam drive -oe
Valve train -oe
Fuel- 93 stock fuel delivery. They just use a block off plate for the dyno.
pistons- builder choice
rods -oe
etc
etc

Up to 1971, the 340/360 heads sis use 2.02 valves. Would you like a picture? I have a set.
I agree with the second sentence.

I've had 3 or 4, 71 360's, and none of them had 2.02. All had 1.88 intake valves

I do agree that the 71 340';s usually had 2.02.

It's the blanket statement that they made that irks me. Unless I heard it wrong, the statement they made, as I understood, was incorrect.

I watched the build yesterday, was it not a 318 build? I might be mistaken, but I remember it drawing my attention because I just put a stock factory 318 crate motor in my 500,000km pickup.
They stated that it would be a stock or near stock build and that they would bring the same engine back in later episodes to do a HP version of it later.

The stealth is a good intake IF, and that's a big IF, you know what to do with the carb and jetting requirements.

Locomotion (Myron) knows the issues with the intake and I believe he's posted his findings here before. The carb generally can not be jetted in a normal fashion. You have lean/rich cylinders running a std jet set up. I had the same issues with one that Myron found.

The stealth is a good intake IF, and that's a big IF, you know what to do with the carb and jetting requirements.

Locomotion (Myron) knows the issues with the intake and I believe he's posted his findings here before. The carb generally can not be jetted in a normal fashion. You have lean/rich cylinders running a std jet set up. I had the same issues with one that Myron found.

It's like any other intake, LOL! The same with carb adjustments on any intake.
OMG! LOL!

anyone catch what the compression ratio was on this thing?

also did anyone else know they weren't 2.02 valves before the measured them? :thumbup:

Well, i missed the show. I wish I saw it, just so I could see a dodge buikd. I will be doing one for the first time soon, and it would have been a helpfull video toi watch. Maybe I can find it on youtube.

Phil

I would also like to know why it is a "crappy" intake. I have one and plan on using one too.

O.K O.K,stop whining,lol...

It's not "crappy" I guess. There are much better out there though. They really didnt need those however. Cam was holding the engine back anyways.

I personally think even the cross wind air gap would have made more power.

anyone catch what the compression ratio was on this thing?

also did anyone else know they weren't 2.02 valves before the measured them? :thumbup:

Stock compression. Likely no better than 8:1.

Block 360 + .030" over
Heads stock, ported, valves with back cut, seats on exhaust pushed to get as much diameter as possible
Cam MP 340 reproduction .444" lift 268/276 duration Seat to seat.
intake any decent dual plane intake, with the plenum divider milled down to 3/8"
Carb 750 CFM pick your poison
Ignition stock with MP orange box, and a rebuilt distributor, set properly for the air gap.
oil pan stock, checking pickup tube for proper position. ported oil pump mating surface to rid the passage of sharp edges. Filter surface removed from block and more/larger holes drilled to avoid restriction into and out of filter.
Cam drive double roller, if possible, a "used set" from a local racer so it is "prestretched", and degree the cam
Valve train stock, with "banana" grooves cut into the rocker shafts
Fuel pump gas
pistons hyperuetectic, for expansion stability with the strength of a forged unit.
rods stock, side polished
exhaust headers, 2.5 collector, flowmaster, 2.25" tail pipes.

Whip

Budget build, yes, I know there are better available, but the combo above should find 400hp without too much problem.

There is a large thread on here somewhere when we were all ticked off about it....the guy used a die grinder on the sealing surfaces of the block and, as already mentioned, torched the little end of the connecting rods!

I've been in several machines shops that use a small "furnace" on the bench top to heat the small end of the rod for wrist pin installation. A torch seems primitive, but acceptable.

I like MAX340.

You get a Gold star for payin attention. He he he he

Didn't watch the build so I have no input on how they did. Not a big fan of TV builds anyway, since most of 'em are for Chev's and when they get into Mopars the builds are usually done by Chevy guys. There are reasons for it, like ad revenue, but reading here as to what they did, was it a stock build? Was that stated?

By the way, the FE series Ford used a shaft for the rockers. One of the reasons the FE's are strong running engines (332, 352, 360, 390, and probably one or two more I'm sure I've forgotten.)

-
Back