Musclecar guy from the 70s

-
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Waggin, i'll try to throw a few stories out every now and then. SE DC was wild back in the early seventies. I was still early teens at that time but all the guys in my neighborhood would take me out with them Fri. & Sat. nights for some street fun. Guess i was mature for my age, and i polished all their torque thrusts better then they could...lol. Those are wheels by the way....just makin' sure everyone knows that.
Side note: 30yrs. Sub. Md. - Mont. Co.
17yrs. So. Fl. - Boynton Beach
5yrs. Va. - Chesterfield
1yr. Sc. - Ladson, Charleston area

I need to get around to posting about the hood i moved to at 11 yrs. old. Didn't realize it then, but the amount of musclecars within a 3 block range was mind boggling. I guess those kind of posts should be in Mopar General Discussions?

I think I live in that "hood" now theres prolly 25 or more awesome mopars ! buick 1 pontiac 1 corvair in just this little subdivision I live in there are two 67 notch 1 convertable, 1 68 fastack 1 65 1 66 barracuda's 2 2 door waggins 1 post 1 mine hardtop 1 dart sport and I lost track of the cars in my yard...I cant count that high I only have four paws
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Waggin, i'll try to throw a few stories out every now and then. SE DC was wild back in the early seventies. I was still early teens at that time but all the guys in my neighborhood would take me out with them Fri. & Sat. nights for some street fun. Guess i was mature for my age, and i polished all their torque thrusts better then they could...lol. Those are wheels by the way....just makin' sure everyone knows that.
Side note: 30yrs. Sub. Md. - Mont. Co.
17yrs. So. Fl. - Boynton Beach
5yrs. Va. - Chesterfield
1yr. Sc. - Ladson, Charleston area

I need to get around to posting about the hood i moved to at 11 yrs. old. Didn't realize it then, but the amount of musclecars within a 3 block range was mind boggling. I guess those kind of posts should be in Mopar General Discussions?

:thumleft:Man waggin' i need to move back to Florida. If i had my way i would, but we have 5 kids and 5 grandkids in Md, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Baltimore and Salisbury. Decided So. Carolina lets us be in the south but closer than 18hrs. away like when we lived in Boynton beach.
P.S. IIRC that picture of your tubbed wagon from behind was awsome lookin'

Welcome to FABO....:cheers:

You are an extremely patient person reading for 3 years before joining LOL.

:thumleft: And you have great taste in cars......I hope you find your 340 Duster here on the site.

Thanks 6pk. Not being in a position to buy another car recently made me hesitant to join but there are so many good people here i decided i belong with you guys, car or not.

you need to sit down for a cold beer at the "flip Flop Inn" bring truck and trailer...........
Thanks 6pk. Not being in a position to buy another car recently made me hesitant to join but there are so many good people here i decided i belong with you guys, car or not.

Guess it's time to extract myself from the welcome wagon. i apoligize up front for being long winded here and will post in general discussion from here forward.

Fall 1968, tv commercials for the 69' Mach 1 in a deep red color and i was hooked on musclecars. Parents let me get mag. subscriptions to HotRod and Popular mechanics. Thought i new something at 9 yrs. old..lol.

Granddad, my dad's dad was a GM service manager in the 40s, 50s, and early 60s. My parents were govt. office workers and had no clue about cars other then putting in a key and going to work. not putting them down in any way as their jobs allowed my brother and i to have a great childhood. Granddad and i bonded and he bought a Visable V8 model kit for us to put together. Worked on it a few hours every Sun. when we went to visit. Some of the best time in my life. Reading HotRod at the time i kept saying headers and he kept saying manifolds......lol. That man taught me to be a perfectionist and i am that, maybe to a fault.

1970, moved to a fairly affluent neighborhood in Md. just outside of DC. I think every family there had all boys. There were dozens in the 18 to 24 yr. range and dozens in my age range 11 to 13.

Just some of the cars the older group had at the time,
1970 Cuda340, serious str. car 12.70s @ 108
1969 Road Runner, changed plugs for him at the time, kids hands..lol.
1969 SuperBee, 383 10"conv. 4.57gear high 12s.
1969 SuperBee, 383 B5 blue, stock w/ wheels
1970 Barracuda Grand Cpe, 383 bench seat 4spd.
1969 Dart Swinger 340, Headers, 727, 410 gear, 13.40s @ 102
Side note on this Dart: Saw it at 75-80 Dragway in about 1998 when i
was visiting back home, had over 150K on the clock, bumper was blue,
smoked like crazy.....guess what? still ran 13.40s...lmao.
1970 440 6pk Cuda auto. Woman drove it to her secretary job w/ snow
tires, not kidding.
1969 Belvedere/Sat. 383
1970 Duster, Banana yellow 318 auto, bench.
1966 Newport, 383 land barge.. lol. the smoothest ridin' car i was
ever in.
Not to mention all the brand X and other Mopars i've missed.
Ok, just a little backround for now, should move on from the welcome wagon.
Thanks for the warm reception, love you guys! you know what i mean...lol.

Springfield dodge is where my brother bought his dart from.I used to race down philly in the late 70s and 80s,Front street was the best. Mark
Can relate....for me it was suburbs of Philadelphia. While muscle cars were abundant everywhere, the serious racing was in the city (Front Street, Delaware Ave, Passyunk Ave. etc.) Was not uncommon for full on race cars to be trailered in and if the money was right, off they'd come. Pretty wild stuff and tons of memories. Before being old enough to drive I can still remember spending nights at my sisters house in Philly and hearing cars doing their burnouts and then rowing through the gears late at night. My dad was a Service Manager for the now defunct Springfield Dodge in 60's & 70's so saw plenty of iron come and go.

100_1647.jpg

Welcome aboard Rick :cheers:
3 years of lurking and enjoying this great site, good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for jumping in and supporting this great site I call home :thumleft:

Welcome Rick....you'll love this place. I don't post a whole bunch but I am definitely here every day reading the threads these guys put out there. Very interesting and extremely informative.

Welcome from Texas... The 70 Duster 340 just happens to top my list also...

Welcome Rick there are lots of guys your age on FABO that remember those days. My first new car was a 70 Duster 340 so your in great company.

welcome Rick,sounds like you have been to central ave.and V street a couple times.I did most of my street racing around Frederick those boys down town played to ruff for me..I had a 67 charger with (tiny's toy)on the doors.that was pretty respected around Frederick.and you might have seen it on central ave.once or twice............Artie

Welcome to the site Rick, How on earth could you stand to be a lurker for 3 years is beyond me.
It only took me 2 days......lol

welcome OldmanRICK when you can start looking for a project car i might know where a 75 duster /6 complete car nice body is sitting that can be got fairly cheap close to me

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Thanks Ramred, it will be later in the year, not quite done with forclosure renovation yet. I'll put the word out when it's time.

Artie, it was a pretty rough neighborhood downtown. Surprized they didn't run us out too. Most of the cars that went down were so clean and well put together, couple Chebbies had tunnel rams, i think the locals thought a car show came to town. They seemed cool with us, a little trash talk now and then but most was in good fun.
Now, most of those guys knew power/weight. Gutted shells with big blocks and 4spd's. For most, looks were'nt that important and they would run the wee outta those things.

Welcome to FABO!

You will enjoy this site. Great people and information!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• WOW Rear 3 QTR View Low.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 82
-
Back