Musings: Restoration = Money loss! (ALWAYS)

-
I follow the trends very closely and have found that the market shifts between cars and trucks. Trucks can be good money makers because you can restore them fast if you know what you are doing and turn them. I once made 14 grand on a 71 c10 shortbed Chevy and put very little into it. Sold it at Barrett Jackson. It was nice but it wasn't anything special. Chevys are cheap to restore and you can find parts at any swap meet. It just happened that those trucks were hot at the time and everybody wanted one. Buy smart like everyone says and try to find desirable Mopars to turn because they cost double to restore. Read the market.

The best way to make money on cars are to find ones that are 90% done, desirable and the owner has lost interest in them so maybe you can buy them right. If you got them bought right then finish the other 10% and sell it. The comment on the factory ralley wheels is spot on. They will always have a value anyone that buys the car can sell them to help fund what they wheels they want if the don't want to keep the rally wheels.

That is a nice looking duster.

From the pics, it looks like it didn't need anything.

Like stated previously- a swap meet set of rallye wheels (or jy, or cl, or whatever cost less than $150 total), clean up under the hood, and put a $5000 sign in the window.

I was really looking for either a Duster or a 67-69 Barracuda, but couldn't find a good deal on either with good quarters and cowl in over a year of looking.

I passed on a Petty blue manual trans 72 6 cyl Duster for $3500, and a 318 a/c 65000 mile original 73 for $6500.
I liked both cars a lot, but just couldn't see either as a bargain. I figured each was probably top dollar for what it was, and I just don't like "not getting a GREAT deal".

Green has it's own set of issues as well, but I'll save that for later :)

I am in this hobby because I love history and old cars, Driving them, the beauty and styling, the sound of the engines, the simplicity. The engineering. The periods and times they represent...

They are considered antiques and everything that applies to any type of antique also applies to them. Condition, rarity, beauty, functionality and public demand in the market place etc.... If you buy a car thinking of the valuable traits of antiques, you might make some money, but it is still a gamble... At least we can drive our antiques...

By restoring and driving these cars, we are keeping a part of history alive.

On a personal level, I bought a 74 Dart Sport recently and am in the process of restoring it. I remember 1974 very well, it was a very happy time for me and my family. Many of the dearest members of my family were still around in those days, people I still mourn losing all these years later... This car is a touchstone to my own past and represents that era of time...

I remember 1974 very well, it was a very happy time for me and my family. This car is a touchstone to my own past and represents that era of time...

I hear you brother...you are preaching to the choir. All us baby boomers have driven up the cost of all sorts of stuff from the late 60's and 70's...including Mopar.

-
Back