Must See: Reporter Drives Daytona For The First Time

-
Oh man I would love to do this, The couch had to keep him out to the right (outside line) and I think that is so cool, Richard Petty Driving Experience would be on my bucket list if I had one, thanks ocdart :cheers:

165 at Daytona? That's pedestrian!

Did he scream little a little girl/boy at a horror movie. I didn't watch any of it.

165 at Daytona? That's pedestrian!

Several years ago I did the Petty thing at Texas Motor Speedway. My fastest lap was 151, but I would have been comfortable boosting that by a few mph if the instructor had allowed it. The cars are very easy to drive.

I drove the same track in my Valiant convertible and was more nervous at 85-90, as the high-miles slant was wound out tight and 9" brakes don't give much confidence at that speed.

Several years ago I did the Petty thing at Texas Motor Speedway. My fastest lap was 151, but I would have been comfortable boosting that by a few mph if the instructor had allowed it. The cars are very easy to drive.

I drove the same track in my Valiant convertible and was more nervous at 85-90, as the high-miles slant was wound out tight and 9" brakes don't give much confidence at that speed.

I did the same thing as well. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was hitting the rev limiter in coming out of every turn by the 3rd lap, which they said was 155 mph. On one of our friend's cars, they had not set the rev limiter or something. He went as fast as he wanted to! The instructor said they must have been hitting between 170-175 mph. The instructor had also said that was the fastest that he had ever ridden with a student before! I had only wished I had got that car because the rev limiter on mine was starting to get annoying and I wanted more speed! I'm not a NASCAR fan but I definitely want to go back and do that again. BTW, after 10 laps, my arms were toast. Them guys must have some fit arms to do 500.

Done RPDE at California Speedway and Daytona, Daytona is way easy one you get over your intimidation factor, plus the instructor was in the car with you instead of the lead follow they did at California.

I did a wimpy 136 at California, and 162 at Daytona, my wife got three rides as her video didn't work the first two times at California, they hit the rev limiter at 175.

Got Daytona scheduled again this October, gotta do the whole 165 this time, hopefully its a cloudy day, being blinded by the glare going into turn one at 160mph really sucks

my videos are on here somewhere

BTW, after 10 laps, my arms were toast. Them guys must have some fit arms to do 500.

I cant imagine 42 other cars on the track, 40mph faster, and trusting someone to tell you where to go.

at California speed way it was 95 degrees that day in Ontario, and baking hot in the car, 20 laps was a workout, I was exhausted too, then your following those instructors, and see them take a corner at 130-140 and stick their arm out the window to get air up their suit, dang

I love Daytona ,period. One of the original tracks. Priceless.

-
Back